Why is my screen changing?

dahermit

I have an old emachines ET1331G-03w computer, using Windows 10. Upon occasion, when I wake it up and the main page appears, the screen aspect has changed from full screen to a smaller aspect. Also, I have my taskbar on the right side, but yesterday when the my main page appeared, the taskbar was at the bottom.

I suspected malware, but Windows Defender (resident), has not indicated such nor has Malwarebytes (I run that frequently), has not indicated any malware. The computer and it's hard drive are quite old as computers go (ten years?), and I am wondering if the changes I have posted are the results of an aging hard drive. (If that is the problem, I have an externally mounted hard drive cloned and ready to go in anticipation of the internal drive failing...I will just open it up and replace the drive.)

So, what is likely causing the changes (screen aspect and taskbar placement)?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Video driver issue. If it's an old system, it not gonna have an updated driver. What Operating system did it come with?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, windows 10 doesn't fully support that model. You'll need a new video card that does.

dahermit

Whoops! I should have mentioned it earlier, but the problems I am having has only manifest themselves since I have upgraded from a standard 20" computer monitor to a 24" T.V. The screen aspect ratio and the taskbar never changed with that old monitor. The TV has its own picture setup. Does that make a difference in your assessment as to the source of my problems?

Darren

Staff member
Mess with the video settings. Might be looking for aspect ratio or overscan. Also double check your resolution is the same as the TV, assuming 1080p based on the size.

dahermit

My screen resolution is set by the settings on the computer. It is set to 1280x720. Although the TV has some video setup, it only has some general stuff like, "Game", "TV", "Personal", "Standard", "Video", "Movie" and "Sports" which only seem to effect the brightness and backlighting on the screen.