Why is Steam so bad at handling & fixing DLLs & other issues in some payed games?

Krieger

I've recently started getting into PC gaming again & just got a PC with better specs for gaming & a few large capacity SSDs but a few of my Steam games just refuse to work & it seems to typically be DLL file issues that go unfixed. Also noticed a few games run into compatibility problems allot of games seem to have with Windows 10. I think its a mix of incompetent developers who are too lazy to fix their screw-ups & a lack of diagnostic & repair tools on Steam. With console games you buy a game it just works no crashing issues(usually) & you never have to download patches or addons or fiddle with a bunch of settings just to get a game to work after paying for it. I find myself trying to get games to actually work more than simply launching them & playing them. The best game I managed to actually play on PC from Steam is maybe the Halo MC collection & all I had to do to get that to work was adjust some video & audio settings, nothing time consuming or tedious such as Fallout 3 for example. Steam should consider developing an all in one diagnostics & repair tool to help fix games that may be broken & checks for & fixes compatibility problems. I can understand why PC gaming is better than console gaming but it still has a long way to go before it can completely replace console gaming. Because of this I"m basically forced to keep my PS4 around.

beers

Staff member
Sounds like a user issue, but some old titles simply aren't updated anymore. You don't see Fallout 3 releasing on the PS5, it didn't even come out natively running on the PS4 and had to be executed with in PSNow. Also consider the game came out nearly 13 years ago.
I think its a mix of incompetent developers who are too lazy to fix their screw-ups
Do you think there's any incentive for fixing issues in a game that has less than 100 concurrent players at any point during the entire month? Do you feel you could honestly do a better job despite struggling to simply even operate a PC, much less developing software?

I feel like your post is synonymous with complaining at Microsoft for not updating Windows 95 anymore.

Krieger

Sounds like a user issue, but some old titles simply aren't updated anymore. You don't see Fallout 3 releasing on the PS5, it didn't even come out natively running on the PS4 and had to be executed with in PSNow. Also consider the game came out nearly 13 years ago.

Do you think there's any incentive for fixing issues in a game that has less than 100 concurrent players at any point during the entire month? Do you feel you could honestly do a better job despite struggling to simply even operate a PC, much less developing software?

I feel like your post is synonymous with complaining at Microsoft for not updating Windows 95 anymore.
I've been using Windows 10 which is good and all it just has a lot of room for improvement to make it PC gamer friendly. Be nice if Microsoft made a version of Windows more optimised for PC gaming. I did manage to get a few of my Steam games to work on my HP. That was mostly due to file integrity issues. Fallout 3 still remains broken. Hard to pinpoint the specific issue. My guess its a corrupt dll file somewhere.

Also a game shouldn't be ignored by developers just because it has to few users playing it at a time. Justifying a fix for a game shouldn't be based on some popularity contest especially when its a payed game. Fallout 3 is actually still very popular on console & probably could get more users playing it on PC if they just fixed the damn thing. Only real reason user count on Fallout 3 is so low is because it comes downloaded broken & the few that play it are the lucky few that managed to fix it on their own.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Justifying a fix for a game shouldn't be based on some popularity contest especially when its a payed game
I don't really feel like you comprehend the labor/effort value behind initiatives like that.

Studios would much rather focus on Halo Infinite or something that's the new hype. The value of your work increases significantly in the demand department.