why other computers can't see my web page

fufengfrank

I am trying to have my own web site, I installed IIS on my XP Pro system, I put a index.html page in the wwwroot folder. When I typed http://localhost/index.html, the page shows up, but when I try to type my computer's IP address http://192.162.1.100/index.html on my roommate's computer, it just can't find the page. I am not sure is that because of the router? Cause my computer use a router to connect the Internet, if it is the router make the problem, how can I resolve this problem? Thank you

Ace1627

You have to make sure your computers are networked I believe, someone correct me if I am wrong. Hope this helps.

fufengfrank

networked, do you mean the computers are on the internet? Yes, they are on the internet, both of them can surfing the internet.

kof2000

no, for a network to work you dont even need the internet.

misconfigured, router or a firewall could be ur problem or xp's security settings. might you need to run the network configuration wizard on each of your computers.

compmodder26

If you are on windows:

Go to "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc" on your friends computer

open hosts with notepad

you should see "127.0.0.1 localhost"

underneath that just type your ip.

That should enable your friend's computer (which is behind the router too) to see your web site.

The problem you are facing is that the router isn't broadcasting your individual ip. So anybody who types 192.162.1.100 isn't going to see it. The router protects all ip's that are behind it. The only ip anybody sees is the ip of the router. The workaround I showed you is only for yoru friends computer. That won't help with outsiders trying to see your site. If you are on a cable internet connection, then your router is probably getting assigned a dynamic ip address. You'll need software like TZO or something similar. Visit their website and have a look.

Last edited:

deapee

he wants his webpage to be able to be seen by anyone on the internet -- not just his roommate's computer.

Something screwey with your server.

deapee

actually...after looking, that's not your computer's IP address. That might be it's IP address for the local network or something. It definately doesn't respond back when i ping it.

goto start, run, type cmd...

type ipconfig that line "IP Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" is your IP address -- not the one you listed above.

compmodder26

To deapee:

That's what I said in the first post I made. The ip address that he has is the IP provided by his router. You will not be able to ping that IP because it is hidden to the public. The router's firewall does that for a reason. If he runs IP config on his own machine he will see the ip he has listed in his post but if he wants to view the ip of his router then he'll need to look at Default Gateway.

And like I said before, the fix for the hosts file is for his roomates benefit. If he get's his IP dynamically assigned (by saying IP I mean the router's IP), then he will need a client (and an account) through a company called TZO. They are very inexpensive and they enable dynamic IP's to have webservers run.

To fufengfrank:
Now what you'll have to do after you get set up with TZO is to have your router forward all incoming port requests to port 80 (or whatever port your webserver is listening on) to the ip of your computer (192.162.1.100). This will make all incoming requests to the router's ip forward to your ip where your webserver is. By the way, you'll need to have IIS listen on the ip of your router, not your computer's IP.

Last edited: