Why printer won't print?

HP OfficeJet Pro 7740.

I'm 99% sure I've used this printer in the past as just plug-and-print (plugged in through Ethernet cable to my laptop). Now when I try, it scans without problem, but the computer won't find it as a printer. It says "Driver not available" in the settings and when I try to go to HP website and get the driver, I go through the setup and there is no change.printer.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The printer has to get connected through your router not the laptop if you are using an ethernet cable. You can use a usb cable to laptop. If you can connect it to your router it should automatically see it when you go to add printer and select network. You may have to select lan connection in printer settings if it has it.

Okedokey

1. Ensure everything is updated - go to command prompt as admin and type : winget upgrade --all
  2. Let it install everything and then restart.
  3. In Windows, search for and open Programs and features
  4. Select your HP Printer
  5. Select Uninstall
  6. In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers
  7. In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'
  8. Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.
  9. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)
  10. Click on the "Drivers" tab
  11. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom
  12. Select Ok
  13. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows
  14. Close Devices and Printers
  15. Restart the PC
  16. Download and install the printer software from the below link.
HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

Last edited: