Why was my CPU at 100%?

Fure6

Today i started up my computer and everything was going super slow. So i did conrol+alt+delete and checked my CPU, it was stuck on 100%. So i shutdown my computer and came back 5 minutes later and restarted. Everything was back to normal when i came back.

why was it at 100%?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently its a virus.
Not neccessarily ... could be damn near anything m8. WindowsXP has a tendency for random bouts of complete lack of performance ... true there are viruses that do have those symptons ... 100% CPU usages is not an absolute viral signiture.

Sophocles

VIP Member
Some applications, can stop responding and when they do they can use your CPU in its entirety. If you have applications that are not loading properly while booting then they could be the cause. BTW, I'd still check your system for viruses.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. What are the processes using up all the CPU resources?
2. When you're idling, what are the handle, thread and process counts? (Performance tab in Task Manager)

Blind_Arrow

whicle your computer is running, press ctrl+alt+delete, and see if accidently you have installed the CPU Idle, or also, I have seen in Windows 2000 specially, the CPU remains reaching tops as when you have put a recent load on the CPU, didnt saw anything such like that in XP (its cool, keeps cool).