Why won't my computer recognize my 2nd hard drive?

savechief

New computer is built and has been working fine for several months now. MSI Neo 2 motherboard, WD 80GB SATA hard drive hooked up to the SATA1 port on the motherboard, Windows XP.

I want to put the hard drive straight from my old computer (10GB Maxtor, Windows 98SE) into my new one as the primary slave. Hooked it up to IDE1, set the jumpers to slave, gave it some power...doesn't work. Not recognized in Windows or in BIOS. Tried a different ribbon cable and power connector...same thing.

Anybody know what the deal is?

Thanks.

ZER0X

VIP Member
Yep, My friend had a problem like this but the only was he resolved it was when he got a new Mobo and formatted the hardrive (I DONT THINK YOULL BE DOING THAT THOUGH) Although thats how he got it working :)

You should also check out BIOS ;) just to see if things are connected properly or else you might have to scan using BIOS to set up the Masters and the Slaves :)

Last edited:

kof2000

if you bios have this feature:

turn on both ide and sata mode. might be the mode is on ide or sata only.

da_ezman

Some M/B's are picky about the IDE device settings. Try the 10GB drive as Slave and Cable Select. You might try it on the other IDE channel also. Just change device jumpers and swap IDE channels till you find the combo that works.

:cool:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
into my new one as the primary slave. Hooked it up to IDE1, set the jumpers to slave, gave it some power...doesn't work.
1. Is the drive powered?
2. Conflicts with another drive?

Mikelb

I also have this problem... I have a third drive in my 466Mhz Celeron... the drive works fine on other PCs... and I have some data recovery software that will detect the drive... and bios detects it but not Windows... is this a problem with drivers???

Mikelb

They are both Wins 98 SE, with FAT32.... so are the other computers they work on... I don't understand it, b/c I can hear the drive spin up (it has power), and my data recovery program sees the physical drive....

Mikelb

I have just noticed that in my control panel there is a problem with the Primary and Secondary IDE controller... hm... maybe that's why everything was running in compatibility mode (slow).... although there are problems with these devices the parent device... Intel ... PC/IDE HD Controller is working fine.... but I am now confused... prolly just best to hook the system to a phone line and connect to Internet and Update Wins...

Mikelb

I believe so... everything was working fine the other day... but I have also updated my Windows with the Microsoft Security Update CD... I'm not sure if there were any glitches in that or not... but I can prolly check...