Why...

Saurian

Don't they make sound cards that you can plug into PCIe x1 slots? I want to see PCI die. Why can't they put the new sound cards on these new slots? We have very little to plug into these, yet they give them to us. I want PCI to die, just as AGP has.

Does anybody know if there are any plants for these? Especially when they usually place a x1 slot right up next the the input/output section of the board, in between the graphics and it usually. Of course I'd much rather have integrated audio which makes the grade and not have an external setup (ie, PCI). Still, why not?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Because PCI is plenty fast for sound and it would cost much more to develop soundcards for PCI Express seeing as all are basically made for PCI...

Now, I'm quite sure therea re PCI-Express sound cards out there, it's just a matter of finding them.

pip22

So you want PCI to die do you, Saurian? Tell that to the thousands of people who are still using older computers (myself included) without PCI-E. We would have to buy a new system If all our PCI hardware failed and we couldn't get replacements. Sounds like you work for one of the big PC manufacturers who rely on standards being 'killed off' so they can make millions selling us all a new PC.

M0ddingMan1a

im still using agp too. and dude.. image like 5 PCI-E slots on a board. thats gonna use some power. i think pci is every efficient.

Archangel

VIP Member
the reson is quite simple... Marketing..
like pip22 said, there are quite a lot of people still having a pc without pci-e x1 slots. so if they would make a soundcard for pci-e x1,.. it wouldnt sell nearly as good as a PCI one at this point.
As for the speed,... that wouldnt matter i think.. since making pci-e 1x slots is cheaper then making PCI slots (its not even half the ammount of plastic used for example.. now, that may sound stupid, but immagine in what masses those plastic sockets are produced?)
Anyway,... I think PCI will slowly become obselete, and be replaced with pci-e x1,.. just not yet ;)