Wi-Fi Issues...

ScottALot

So I have this Encore Wireless Adapter that I got from NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180052

Basically, I had my computer at my mom's house, where the router was 2 floors and 3 walls away from my rig, so I had pretty crappy connection, and I thought the distance was the problem. I moved the rig to my dad's house and it seemed to be slower! I checked the connection... at my mom's it was around 3 bars most of the time ... and to my surprise, it was hanging around 1 or 2 bars! I went into the Wireless Adapter driver and it said the signal quality was around 50%, antenna 1 was getting 100% (dubbed Perfect) signal, but 2 and 3 were getting around 30% (dubbed Poor). 1 is pointed straight out towards the router, while 2 and 3 are bent around 1 in the general direction of the router.

I've described the problem in past threads, and it's been suggested that it was memory problems. I've run MemTest a couple times and nothing came up, and I plan to run it for a full day sometime this weekend. Basically, if the computer is doing something internet-related while I'm doing something else, I'll get mouse and sound skips. I close the program, examples: F@H, Windows Update, Downloading a song, and everything is back to normal.

Anyone a wireless adapter guru?

linkin

VIP Member
Sounds like a very dodgy wireless connector and drivers for it. I;'m guessing there not even WHQL. most of these cheap ones aren't because they cause issues like this.

You could also trying to boost your routers broadcast range by logging into it and looking in the wireless settings. my old router had an option for that, the signal was perfect and strong even when it was only set to 4/10 power.

ScottALot

I don't think it's the router because my iPod and my dads laptop get 3 or 4 bars and load everything pretty well.

ScottALot

Just noticed that there's two connections open... linksys1 and linksys2 ... would getting rid of one of these help?

ScottALot

I only have one wireless router, but when I open the Network settings on the PC that's connected to the WiFi, there's two connections: linksys1 and linksys2.

linkin

VIP Member
That could be a problem... try updating the drivers or uninstalling them. I know using multiple wireless cards makes them create new networks like "wireless connection #3" but the number varies depending on how many adapters you have installed.

ScottALot

The two networks are visible in both the drivers and the Windows Network center... so I think they're both real networks. The computer that's directly connected to the router (no wireless) says it's on "Network 2".

bkribbs

The two networks are visible in both the drivers and the Windows Network center... so I think they're both real networks. The computer that's directly connected to the router (no wireless) says it's on "Network 2".

Could it be that one of your neighbors also has a Linksys router?

blazin8556

you could try turning the router off and see what networks are still available and/or change the name of yours. but changing the names means youll have to reenter all the key codes in anything wirelessly connected to the router. like gaming consoles, hand held devices, etc.

Last edited:

ScottALot

Okay, I did some resetting and now there's only one connection... but the strength is still very poor. If someone knows how to increase the power of the Linksys router (not the frequency... that didn't do anything) please tell me. I have already ordered a 100ft. long ethernet cable in case wi-fi won't ever work.

blazin8556

what is the distance between the router and the computer? is the router enclosed inside maybe a cabinet of some sort?

ScottALot

About 2 rooms sideways and one room up... the router is under a desk, but I don't think that's the problem, because my iPod can stream YouTube videos without a single skip from farther away than my room.

blazin8556

that very well could be it. even tho the ipod is connecting fine. mine is inside an entertainment center in the same room. if i open the cabinet doors then i get better signal. anytime the signal has to travel and go through things like walls, you loose signal quality.

ScottALot

Oh. My. God.

Got my 100ft. cable and worked for hours getting it set up. I plug it in and am expecting super fast speed, but to my surprise, I get no connection. I've tried everything I can think of in the Control Panel, but I don't get anything. Does anyone think it's the motherboard? I use onboard sound, my mouse is connected to the mobo, and my ethernet jack is on the mobo, too... makes me think that everything is from the mobo. I haven't done MemTest yet because I don't have a CD to put it on, but I'm going to try it because I want to rule that out ASAP.

EDIT: Tried some other cable tests: Took cable from my dad's computer and put it in my rig and no network showed up, even tried different ports on the router and no changes... Unless it's my motherboard, I'm stumped. :mad:

Last edited: