Wife lost profile in Win10 and creating new account have changed

johnnyb58

So Win 10 can't find user profile or something along those lines so did a google search and it said to log out and log back in again. I did this 4 or 5 times and even restarted the computer about 3 times. It still doesn’t work so now it said to backup all her files and delete her account.

OK so I did that, but now it will only accept her email address as profile name. What the hell is that all about and is that legit? I’ve never heard of that before and thought it was weird that it accepted her password each time, but can’t find her files. Did something change recently because it didn’t do that a couple of months ago when I created an account for my grandson?

My other question which I probably should have asked before backing up her files is will it be OK to just move everything from the backup directly into her user account through Explorer?

johnnyb58

Wow this is a nightmare. All of her site passwords saved in Firefox and Chrome are gone. I did manage to save everything in documents and photos but nothing else.

So now I'm afraid of losing my account and I need to know how to backup everything including my passwords. Is there a procedure to cover everything in case my computer goes belly up?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try doing a system restore to a day when it was working fine. It loads a temp profile just so its usable. You won't be able to access her files until she's able to log in or you access them from another system.

johnnyb58

Try doing a system restore to a day when it was working fine. It loads a temp profile just so its usable. You won't be able to access her files until she's able to log in or you access them from another system.
Thanks, but i may have destroyed that opportunity. I ended up with 4 new accounts and deleted them. I guess I should have waited for more information. Right now I'm searching Microsoft for the next time, but I found out that unless you use the correct words and terminology, you only get back portions of what to do and not in the correct order.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
System restore should always be your first thing to do as most times it does solve your problem. But since you have created new accounts you can always copy over data from the bad account if its still available.

johnnyb58

System restore should always be your first thing to do as most times it does solve your problem. But since you have created new accounts you can always copy over data from the bad account if its still available.
I wish I would have done that. I thought I could copy everything out of the old account, but not everything was copied.

AlienMenace

And when you get everything straighten out, or if you get it straighten out. Don't use the browser's password system, use another. I like "Last Pass", https://www.lastpass.com/. Or "Blur", https://www.abine.com/index.html. Use the free versions of these two. With "Blur" though, I like it because it has some other features to it. Like you can Mask your email addresses. With the premium version (not free) you mask your credit card and phone numbers. But I use the free versions. And in the browser's extensions (add on's) you can download the extensions and it put in the browser task bar's. I usually back up my files files for these two, every Month or so to a flash drive. Last Pass is rated number #1 and I have been using it since it first came out, and I like Blur because of the Masking of the Email side of it.