Wifi Antenna for android tablet

rizay

I have searched around for something to boost my wifi reception on my ASUS Transformer Pad TF103C android tablet. I do a lot of outdoor arts and crafts shows and use the tablet for credit card sales. There are free public wifi access at these shows but I don't get a good signal.

I have seen wifi antenna that connect via usb. My question is do they work? Is there any available for my tablet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

z3r0

I'm not an expert on this or anything but I have found a WiFi dongle to be a lifesaver when my family had a computer but no cable connection. To make matters worse, the HP desktop that is sitting in my living room right now is not WiFi-capable, but the dongle hung out of the window with a tether provided enough access to connect to a network that was a few houses up the street.

How much of a range increase were you looking for? Ball park...

rizay

Thanks for the response. I don't know. Maybe a 300 feet or so. Do you have a link or model for your dongle?

strollin

Hello!

The thing that concerned me was the fact that you are using Android and my currently dongle is Windows compatible. However with a little bit of Google-ing I found this for you.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38662983&postcount=1

This walkthrough gives you the steps to make any 3G dongle compatible with an Android device. Give that a go and post the results, if any. :)
The OP was asking about wifi, not 3G. Doubt these instructions apply.

I have no experience with using a USB external wifi adapter on Android but Google searches show some people have luck with certain adapters. You might try asking in a forum that specifically deals with Asus Transformer tablets to see if anyone knows of one that will work.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Mobile devices will always have a lower performing wireless radio compared to laptops and desktops, simply due to them requiring more power which isn't available in ultra-portable devices. If you did find a way to connect a USB WiFi adapter, you can bet your battery will be drastically shortened.