Wifi card or adapter

0bAm3

(sorry if this is in the wrong section i couldn't find a section for wifi related items)
ive been using an anewkodi "600 mbps" USB wifi adapter with an antenna and i have never been getting great wifi speeds on it. i was going to switch to ethernet but i couldn't use an Ethernet cable because my computer is upstairs, away from my router. There is a second computer im my house witch uses a wifi card and it gets ok speeds of 10-20 mbps or more.

If im going to switch, i dont know how to use expansion slots, (do i just pop it out?)
and if i do install it, is it plug and play or does setting up need to be required.

_Pete_

Generally wifi cards are not plug and play. As far as fitting it is concerned you turn off your computer power, unscrew the screw holding the card in and unplug the old card and plug in the new one replacing the screw. There could, potentially, be a problem with static and you should really wear an earthed anti-static wrist band and work at an anti static work station. I never do but don't say I didn't warn you. You should get a CD with the new card which should have the relevant drivers on it. Someone on here will possibly tell you that if you have Win 10 it wil find the drivers but as it's the wireless card you are replacing your computer wont be on the internet to find those drivers. This is not quite as straight forward as it seems. It isn't difficult to replace boards in computers but there are pitfalls.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What operating system are you using? If windows 10 it will find and download the appropriate driver, since you already have a usb wireless adapter just keep it plugged in. What router do you have as well?