wifi connection card..?

steventowt

i need help with my laptop, im trying to connect a wireless access point in my residence, but it's not connecting, im trying to connect to a wireless linksys g router using the build in wireless card: Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (dual-band quad-mode 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N). can i even connect to a linksys wireless g router with that card? please help. thanks you.

finsfree

Sure you can!

Scan for the network name you want to connect to then, press connect. If it asks you for a pass key then, (if you know it) type it in and blamo.

What kind of security do you have on the wirless router?:good:

steventowt

it's an unsecured wireless access point, this notebook is actually a friends of mine.
it's not even detecting the wireless card within the computer (i think).
but when i search this exact computer online, it says it has the card as mentioned above..

but when i diagnose and repair, i get something that says "Turn on wireless capability, this can be done by using a switch, which is usually found on front or side of the computer, or a function key combination."

no clue..any help now..?

steventowt

i mean, the card and everything is showing up inside device manager, but for some reason i can't even view the wireless networks in rage of the computer, as if there is no wireless card in the computer at all.

specs:
acer aspire 5920
intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50 GHz
2038 gb RAM
32 bit
windows vista home premium.

wireless card:
Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (dual-band quad-mode 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N)

finsfree

It's on there. You have to press the Fuction(Fn)+Wifi key to turn it on. Or, it might just be a switch on the side of the laptop.

Download the manual if you still can't find it and go from there.

Last edited:

steventowt

haha.
new problem.

it's connected to the network, but i only get a local connection, no internet..

it says in the Wireless Network Connection Status:
IPv4 Connectivity: local
IPv6 Connectivity: limited

and repairing it doesn't help.
????

finsfree

There could be a number of things. We will start with the basics first.

Your laptop is connected to the wireless access point (good) next, from there is your issue. Is the router hooked up to the modem via cat5e or cat6e?

You might need to bridge the modem to the wireless router. You can do this by restarting your modem.

steventowt

well im wireless on this notebook and connected to the internet, so i don't see why i would need to do that since it's already working on this computer.

and i don't understand cat5e or cat6e.

finsfree

Correct, if your already connected wireless with a different laptop then your networking devices are working fine.

By the way cat5e and cat6e are ethernet cables...

You might need to refresh the IPs on the laptop that is giving you the issues.

Click on Start>Run>type CMD>type ipconfig /renew>Press Enter. Let it renew the IP then try surfing the internet.

A Cheese Danish

Ok, so you have internet on a different laptop, but on the acer, you have only limited connectivity?

Sorry, just trying to clear things up.