wifi extenders

newnewbie

please recommend a good wifi extender (dual band) for a home. router is located in the middle of the house. (5 bedroom home) and would like to extend it so that there is wifi in the backyard. no network cables to go towards the backyard to install a router. router is about 28 yards to the back door.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Will it blow up? Lol
Eh they just run like crap unless you get super expensive ones that have a dedicated backhaul radio.

You could combine moca adapters with an access point depending on budget and what's available in your house.

_Pete_

You can try a better router but to be honest the power and the frequencies used for wifi are so crap and so limited that it is unlikely to get out to your garden. I tried a couple of different wifi extenders and, if you think about it, if there is no wifi signal where you want it then the signal cannot be extended. If the signal is weak in the place where you site the wifi extender then the extender extends a weak signal and if you place the extender near the original router the extender's signal becomes weak or non-existant where you want it. After much faffing around and sending crappy Chinese (everything is made in China these days) stuff back to the supplier I bit the bullet and ran an ethernet cable out there and attached an old router that I had to the end of that. At least now my grandkids can sit out in the summer house and wear their thumbs out texting their mates to their hearts content without annoying me.

C4C

I forgot what brand I got for my parents house (2600 sqft, and the Netgear AC1900 could not cover it) but it works...... okay.

If you can upgrade the router to something other than and ISP-issued one, I would. They just don't work as well as something more high-end will.

Coverage still gets shotty with extenders, since all they're doing is duplicating the signal for you...

Geoff

VIP Member
Don't get an extender. I'd first upgrade your existing router to a dedicated wireless router, then look to add a second access point if needed.