Wifi on PC is way slower than on Mac

Gordon.C

Hi,

today I fixed one issue that I was getting generally slow wifi due to an old router that still ran the 802.11g standard.

Well my Mac sustained a major improvement today (3-4 times faster than previous download speed) yet my PC is still receiving slow connection (improvement from yesterday was about 1/5).

With my PC I use D-Link DWA-121 adapter. That seems like the only weak component in my PC. Do you think, the adapter is the cause?

Thank you

P.S. Mac and PC are sitting side by side and both use wifi.

Geoff

VIP Member
Look at the network status, what is the signal strength and connection speed of the PC on wireless? When you say it's slow, are you talking about internet speed tests?

Gordon.C

Look at the network status, what is the signal strength and connection speed of the PC on wireless? When you say it's slow, are you talking about internet speed tests?

The connection usually shows full bars. Yes both internet speed tests and download is way lower than on the Mac.

Geoff

VIP Member
The connection usually shows full bars. Yes both internet speed tests and download is way lower than on the Mac.
What speed does the network status show? And what results do you get when running speedtest.net on both machines?

Gordon.C

Today I discovered something I though was not physically possible.

I blocked my PC wifi connection by sitting literally in the path between the adapter and the router. Shifting the PC wifi adapter right next to my Mac lead to instant increase in download speed.

Now both PC and Mac download at full potential speed.

I am speechless...