Wifi Problems or router problems?

mine is up to date the only thing newer is a beta version. my biggest problem now is that an iphone on the other end of the apartment wont stay connected to our network

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yuck, then he would have another extender ;)

But a better one at that. lol. The extenders themselves always seem to have issues. But when you use a router as one then it seems to work like it should.

But if he could actually run a cable from one router to another one, would be a better solution.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
According to my n56u, Access point mode can only be done through connecting an ethernet cable. You most likely need to use a router with ddwrt as the access point.

beers

Staff member
i could get the new router and use the old one as an access point it does have that option?
You could set it up this way, yes. Pretty much every consumer router would support that function but there are a few steps to making it work (assign LAN IP address on AP-Router within same subnet, connect to network with LAN ports, set up same SSID/security and different wifi channel).

Some routers have a 'special AP' function that makes it a bit easier, but there's no reason you can't just use 2/3rds the functions of any generic router by just avoiding the WAN interface.