WiFi switch ... do they exist?

Jon Boy

Hi There,

I am after an ethernet switch that connects to my router via a WiFi connection. Do these exist or are there any alterniatives?

Just to clarify my scinario

Room 1 - Wireless Router
Room 2 - Computer, Blueray Player, Internet TV

I am trying to connect these three devices to the internet without trapsing cables accross the house or purchasing expensive WiFi adapters.

I am trying to do this on a limited budget so please keep any suggestions to a reasonable price.

Thanks
Jon

Quiltface

assuming you mean that the items in room 2 are not wireless and you want to connect them to your network with out a bunch of long runs... yes you can do this you can buy another wireless ap or router...preferably the same kind as you already have... and just set it up as a bridge... make sure the wireless AP you use has a switch on the back.

however if your items in room 2 are wireless then just do the obvious... alot of blu ray players have wireless in them now, a computer is easy to get wifi in it, and not sure about internet tv, i would think that it they would put wifi in one of those but i have never touched one to know for sure.

Last edited:

Jon Boy

assuming you mean that the items in room 2 are not wireless and you want to connect them to your network with out a bunch of long runs... yes you can do this you can buy another wireless ap or router...preferably the same kind as you already have... and just set it up as a bridge... make sure the wireless AP you use has a switch on the back.

however if your items in room 2 are wireless then just do the obvious... alot of blu ray players have wireless in them now, a computer is easy to get wifi in it, and not sure about internet tv, i would think that it they would put wifi in one of those but i have never touched one to know for sure.
Thanks quiltface.

The PC has a network card but the aerial broke
The BR player has an optional extra WiFi adapter but nothing integrated
The TV also has an option extra WiFi adapter

These equate to about £70, but I should be able to pick up a new router for £20 .... infact I have one somewhere, I will try that (annoyingly its in anouther county though :( )

Quiltface

yeah give it a shot, i cant tell you exactly how to do it but their manual should have the instructions in there somewhere.... if it is capable. They are all different.

Jon Boy

I just called my parents who can't find it ... looks like I finally through the thing out. Is there any feature in particular I should be looking for in the spec to make sure it can bridge the connections.

P.S. I can't get the same one as we have, its sky broadband.

PohTayToez

If your router doesn't have an easy option to turn it into a bridge/repeater you'll want to look though the settings and disable DHCP and DNS, and make sure it doesn't share the same IP but is on the same subnet.