Wifi Weak on 1 Computer

Speed test results on my Desktop yields only 4 - 8 Mbps while I get 34 Mbps on my phone (if I connect to the same wifi network) and the downstairs laptop gets 15 - 34 as well. The signal strength is missing one bar on this PC as well. I have a Realtek RTL8188ETV Wireless LAN 802.11n, it's a little thing. I'm guessing the issue is a lack of antenna?

Realtek_wlan_usb.png

beers

Staff member
What router are you using?

Usually buying the cheapest thing on the market doesn't net a great experience. The ISM band is so congested these days that 2.4 performance sucks in pretty much any environment unless you're on your own acreage or something.

What router are you using?

Usually buying the cheapest thing on the market doesn't net a great experience. The ISM band is so congested these days that 2.4 performance sucks in pretty much any environment unless you're on your own acreage or something.

As stated the issue is only on one device, we live rural also. I brought the laptop to my room it still got 34 Mbps while my Desktop got 6 :oops:

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
See if there is an updated driver for the wifi adapter. Also is it a no name brand adapter?

Intel_man

VIP Member
Those USB dongles for wifi are usually pretty trash for transmit/receive power.

I would suggest getting a PCI-E card with external antennas that connect to the back.

Those USB dongles for wifi are usually pretty trash for transmit/receive power.

I would suggest getting a PCI-E card with external antennas that connect to the back.
My PCI-E slot is covered by my graphics card :(. A dongle with an external antenna is my best bet.

Good news I bought a wifi adapter with a big fat antenna and I get the same speeds now as other devices and full bars. I suffered for so long for no reason, guess I got used to my iphone tethering.

Now I know, if you aren't in the same room as router, make sure it has an external antenna.

Usually the bigger cards will take the next spot below it not above it so if the pcie x1 slot is above it you should be able to use it.
Oh you are right, I don't know why I thought it was obstructed, its not. But honestly I think I am now getting the same performance as the laptop (actually upload is better), our wifi internet is the bottleneck.

Its still too unstable for video games, but I tether my iphone while playing them to get around that.

Like I've said... usb wifi dongles are garbage for signal strength.

Side note: you're somewhat gimping that 9900k with a H310.
If you use a wifi adapter with an external antenna, then its going to be the same. The one I have now gets all 5 bars much of the time. The problem is our house internet itself is not the most stable. My iphone has access to high speed 4G, that's why it's better for gaming.

I got the chip free, that's why I don't mind that I'm running a K series with a board that doesn't support it. By the time I would need to do that I'm going to be due for an upgrade anyhow.