WiFi

The Astroman

I just set up a wireless network card in my laptop, but I can't seem to be able to connect to my network. When I try to connect, it says it can't connect, and that maybe I am out of reach of the signal, but I'm right next to the wireless access point! I defined a WEP key which I gave it, and also defined an IP adress...

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hmmm

Is there any way you could measure the strength of the signal? Try to get NETWORKSTUMBLER working. That should let you know more. Good luck

JAN :D

S_Doherty

Is your router set to broadcast the SSID...if not then your card has nothing to associate the signal to... check your router settings by loggin on to 192.168.x.x and verify that it is infact broadcasting that signal

STLPNazi

Does you wireless network card have a on/off switch? I know it may seem kinda dumb, but I had mine off and I had the same problem :eek:

The Astroman

My card is intergrated, so no on/off switch! I can not log into my router, don't know why! That's also another problem I have. But 2 other laptops connect fine to the wireless network, so I think the WAP (wireless access point) is configured correctly).

wensk

I would get rid of the IP address, make sure you have the wep key entered correctly and the SSID....make sure you match uppper and lower case on the SSID as well, and then set it to broadcast. Most of the time with this its a mis-type.

The Astroman

I have installed another wireless card in a PCMCIA slot ( i disabled the other one), and the D-LINK program which come's with it has all the green columns lit, meaning the signal is strong (hope so, I'm not even a meter away from the access point!), but when I try to connect to my network using Window's utility, all the columns become white, indicating there is no signal...

S_Doherty

This is an interesting one, do you have MAC filtering set up? or a max amount of simultaneous connections? can you pin the router from your laptop?