Will a media player allow me by USB input to transfer Video files from my Computer and play them by HDMI output to my TV?

Can I transfer video files on my computer which doesn't have an HDMI output to a media player by USB and connect the Media player's HDMI output to my TV?

DavidG

Usually not but it depends on the media player - update your post and we could try and find out

Usually not but it depends on the media player - update your post and we could try and find out
Haven't gotten a media player which is why I asked the question. The way I have things set up at present is 1. My Windows 10 laptop does not have an HDMI output so I transfer Video by USB from his laptop to an Elements Portable External Hard Drive. 2. I connect by USB the Elements Portable External Hard Drive to a Windows 7 HP Notebook which has an HDMI outputt and 3. I connect an HDMI cable on this Windows 7 computer HDMI output to the TV. Its really not as complicated/convoluted as it sounds. I'm hoping a Media player can replace the External Hard Drive and the Windows 7 laptop in this process!

DavidG

In fact there are a several options here.
Does the TV have a USB port? If so this could probably be used to connect the elements portable external hard drive and output your video that way. Most smart TVs have this option
alternatively you could buy a PVR this attaches to the TV via HDMI and takes the input via aerial or cable (depending where you live). They contain an internal hard drive so you can record programs to watch at a later date, most usually have a USB input allowing you to play videos from a USB flash drive or external hard drive.
However I agree with @Darren the most obvious solution is either a USB-HDMI or VGA-HDMI adapter

Last edited: