Will a new OP work as a backup disc?

sun_kissed_0

Hey my laptop died and we gave it to staples to see how much it would cost to be fixed. The guys told me that it needs a new hard drive (ok I'll get one on newegg) and it needs a backup disc I think is what they said. We don't know where that CD is so the guys told me I could call Toshiba and it's like 20-30 dollars. I'm using the ultimate steal.com to buy microsoft office ultimate for just 60 bucks since I'm a student and I need it for school, but they're also offering other great deals like Win7 for 65!! So my question is, will the new Win7 CD work to fix this problem. Will it act like a backup CD?

bkribbs

Hey my laptop died and we gave it to staples to see how much it would cost to be fixed. The guys told me that it needs a new hard drive (ok I'll get one on newegg) and it needs a backup disc I think is what they said. We don't know where that CD is so the guys told me I could call Toshiba and it's like 20-30 dollars. I'm using the ultimate steal.com to buy microsoft office ultimate for just 60 bucks since I'm a student and I need it for school, but they're also offering other great deals like Win7 for 65!! So my question is, will the new Win7 CD work to fix this problem. Will it act like a backup CD?

When you say backup disc, you mean a way to backup all of your files and stuff I believe. And the Win 7 disc will just format the hdd and lose the files. So if I understand you correctly, then no. But I am not sure if I do understand you.

sun_kissed_0

No it's not a disc to save the files on my computer. From what I understand, the OP isn't working correctly on the computer so it needs the disc that normally comes with the computer when you buy it. My problem is I don't know if this windows back up disc is different from just a regular OP installation disc.

bomberboysk

No it's not a disc to save the files on my computer. From what I understand, the OP isn't working correctly on the computer so it needs the disc that normally comes with the computer when you buy it. My problem is I don't know if this windows back up disc is different from just a regular OP installation disc.

OS, not OP;)

Yes, a windows 7 dvd will do what you need, however, you will need to find the drivers and such, as well as make sure your laptop is up to date enough to run windows 7 effectively.

sun_kissed_0

hahahaha I guess I put OP because i was just saying it in my head "OPerating system" and typing really fast :p anyways, thanks! I just bought it. Isn't 65 dollars such a good deal?? I'm so happy. I just realized whenever I do build my own desktop I'll have win7 already! :) I'ma happy camper.

sun_kissed_0

lol thanks. new problem! how can i recover my pictures myself...without having staples do it for like 100 bucks.

blazin8556

probably get an adapter and plug it into a desktop pc. and see if maybe you can explore the drive. i was only able to do it like that one time. since then havn't run into a hard drive issue. but just in case i have the mybook. when i did it tho, i had to do it quick by copying to the main drive cause the hard drive barely worked. then when i was almost done it just quit.

however this may not work.

if the circuit board has messed up on it. i think there are model specific boards that you can get. don't know how well that works tho. never tried that or know anyone that has.

sun_kissed_0

Great...looks like my only solution is to have staples do it :( I obviously have to do it before I replace the hard drive right? Oh and the correct terminology I was looking for earlier is "recovery discs". Those are what I'm missing...so a new OS will act like a recovery disc and restore the computer right?

blazin8556

you can usually get drivers from the manufacturers website. but if windows doesn't have drivers for you internet connection devices youll have to get that using a friends computer.

2048Megabytes

Without the correct programs (software) your laptop will not work correctly. When you hear about drivers we are talking about the following: Every input/output device is controlled by software called device drivers. Laptops have specific device drivers that you can get from the manufacturer who made the notebook (laptop).