will an Intel Core i3-1005G1 processing unit last for 10 years?

What kind of processor do you recommend for a new laptop that's meant to last for 10 years? Would an Intel Core i3-1005G1 processing unit do the trick?

I want to run Windows, use an office suite (probably LibreOffice) and the internet, do some minor image editing (so far not even Photoshop), maybe watch a movie now and then, take part in a video conference, etc. No gaming, no video editing, no serious image editing.

I'm looking at a good offer with otherwise fine specifications... but I wonder if the processor isn't a deal breaker. Any recommendations?

(And yes, I know I could technically switch to Linux at some point. I've tried that once before, though, and had to acknowledge I currently don't have the time--or the friends--to get myself familiarized with Linux enough to work with it effectively. Which means it's not a viable option, unfortunately.)

Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No laptop will last that long anymore. Get a true quad core i5 over 2ghz with at least 8gb of ram and an SSD. That i3 you posted is only a dual core 1.2ghz base frequency and will be slow.

Thanks. So you think my user pattern requires a quad core i5 (or similar AMD processor)? Just asking because a computer seller told me I'd be fine with the i3. And yes, I'm having doubts, that's why I've posted here.
[Thanks, I'm only looking at 8gb of RAM and an SSD anyways, along with some other specifications meant to allow longevity.]

BTW, why do you think no laptop will last that long anymore? Because of its specifications / technological advances... or because you think some parts will break before? Well, ten years ago I was already told that laptops wouldn't last anymore for ten years... and here I am, using one (well, running an excuse of Linux from a USB, but that's another story). Two out of the three laptops I've used have lasted that long. So while I realize that it is a gamble, and my next laptop may break within a year, at least I don't want to replace it some day because I didn't pay enough for reasonable specifications. If then it breaks early, I'll know at least I did my part for a little more sustainability. Similarly, though, I don't want to pay for more than I need: Not only would that be senselessly expensive, but also I don't want to fuel a market pushing us to consume stuff we don't need...

Darren

Staff member
That is pretty darn low spec for 2022. I'd get something a bit beefier if you're worried about longevity.

That said, computer hardware has plateaued a lot lately, particularly if you're not doing anything intensive. You can get away with 2012 hardware on an SSD running Windows 10 without much trouble, for instance. Although maybe not the lowest i3 from the time.

Thanks, so you are confirming my suspicion.

Any suggestions as to what the minimum processor should be for my intended use, for the next 10 years?

(Yes, I don't mind longer, "10 years" is a somewhat random figure. It helps a bit to focus though, as opposed to looking for a computer for just three years, for example. Besides, it happens to be the approximate life span of two of my laptops so far...)

Darren

Staff member
Just kind of a sliding scale of cost versus longevity, but at minimum I'd want something with 4 physical cores and preferably multi threading so 8 threads total. Despite the low base clock on that specific chip, pretty much any chip will have decent boost clocks and that's what you should pay attention to in terms of clock speed.

I'm not super up to date with modern hardware, but upper end i3s or anything i5+ should be good. You can use Intel's Ark to check specs in detail. For instance that i3 is 2 cores 4 threads. I'd recommend 4/8 at minimum.

1652324029602.png

Darren

Staff member
There's definitely nothing "kind of" about that thing. It most definitely is a turd for 2022.
I hesitate to use that terminology considering that processor is still plenty fast for the vast majority of basic work and probably would be for several years. Just not what I would buy if going for longevity over 5+ years.