will my drivers be intact?

speedyink

VIP Member
I used the windows xp pro upgrade cd on my laptop. When I went to install it, it said it couldnt upgrade my current operating system because it is a different language (japanese windows 98, english xp). So it gave me the option to install on a different partition. Luckily my laptop already had 2 partitions of equal size. So I installed it to D:, and window 98 is on C:. I have the option to choose which windows to go into when I boot the computr up. What I want to do is get rid of windows 98, since I never use it, but will my drivers still work? Does XP move the drivers to its own folder?

Another quick question, is there anyway to move XP to C: short of installing it again? I heard the the first partition is the fastest.

apj101

VIP Member
As for partition speed there isn't really much of a difference.

And as for drivers, I don’t think that windows xp will move the driver over automatically. You will have to reinstall them all on the xp partition. You could
a)use the manufacturer’s disk,
b)download the drivers,
c)or tell xp to search for compatible drivers in your win 98 partition.

Personally I would download all the drivers that I need, that way you can be sure that you will get the latest ones.

speedyink

VIP Member
what if I were to delete everything thats in the windows 98 folder except for where the drivers are kept? Does anyone know where its located? I dont have a driver cd, and I cant find them online, so thats why Im asking.

Legendre

Hello,speedyink
Aren't your XP drivers all in the folder D:\windows\system32\drivers ?
That is to say ,WinXP and Win98 has their drivers stored separately.
My opinion,you can delete the folder C:\windows,
even any other folders stored in C.
But don't delete the system files directly in the root of drive C,
such as nedetect.com, ntldr, boot.ini etc.
Remeber that just delete folders.
You can edit the boot.ini file to delete the win98 option when boot up,
but it is not recommend.

As for the saying 'the first partition is the fastest.', that sounds strange .
I have never heard of that before.

speedyink

VIP Member
apj101 said:
What drivers is it your after? And for what hardware?

Im just want my sound/ video/ touchpad etc. to still work if I delete it. I didnt install any camera drivers or that sort of thing in 98, only XP. Only the basic drivers to have the hardware in the computer itself run.

Legendre, I looked in the drivers folder in windows xp, and the names were so screwed up I didnt know what they were for. Thanks for the tip about not deleting the system files, I might have done it :eek: Anyway, When I had to do a big partitioning show just to get rid of windows 2000, I was reading sites on the best way to partition, and on one of those sites I read that the first partition is the fastest, so install windows on it.

Anyone care to back Legendre up? I want to be right sure before I do something like this.

One other thing, is it possible to get rid of the 98 boot option in the BIOS?

Last edited:

speedyink

VIP Member
No one? I figured out that you cant remove the option for boot up in BIOS. So back to the initial question, does the Windows XP upgrade move the drivers(just the basic hardware drivers IE. sound, video etc.) to its own folder if its a independant install on a different partition? I've had one answer on each side, so Id like another opinion to be sure.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
you'll have to reinstall the drivers once youve booted into windows xp. windows does come with alot of default drivers, but the best thing to do is delete the format the partition with windows 98 on, download the drivers you want, install them on windows xp, then if you want, you can change the drive letters round so that windows xp will be on c: partition. but we'll explain how ot do that later

speedyink

VIP Member
Well I deleted the windows 98 folder on C:, and the program files folder and the my documents folder (only leaving the programs I want on C:.) And I did a reboot. XP didnt ask for any drivers at bootup and everything is functioning the same as before. Ill do a defrag on C: just because I deleted a ton of C:. How do I change the drive letters around?