Will SSD work with older PC?

Truckdriver

I have a older pc that I put together about 10 years back and put it in storage. Tech has jumped by leaps and bounds but the pc is still usable. I had a friend tell me to put a SSD drive in it and I got to looking. I would like to get the ssd now then possibly upgrade other components in a year or two and would like to be able to switch over hard drive when that time comes. I guess my question is will this ssd work with what I have now?

SAMSUNG 980 SSD 1TB PCle 3.0x4, NVMe M.2 2280,​

Here are my mother board specs, I'm using the AMD 4 CORE CPU.

Thanks

Intel_man

VIP Member
That motherboard doesn't support NVMe based SSD.

You can get a SATA based SSD instead. It won't be as fast, but it is still a lot faster than a mechanical harddrive.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
^ Any SATA SSD will work. The speed difference will be instantly noticeable. Within minutes you will never want to go back to a platter-style drive again.

Truckdriver

I'm looking at a sata3 ssd from what I have seen I can mount anywhere are there any special adapters I might need?
I guess I would leave the disc drive as a storage and the system would run off the ssd.
Do I clone windows? I do have the original windows disc that is 10years old also. I apologize for new questions and will look up these processes but would like some guidance from folks that have done this before

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Your best bet would be to reinstall windows fresh on the SSD. That way you can get the best possible speed out of it. As far as mounting it, if your case doesn't have a dedicated spot for it, you could either buy an ssd mounting bracket for it to fit into a 3.5" hard drive bay or just velcro it to free spot in your case if you have room somewhere.

beers

Staff member
are there any special adapters I might need?
Usually those are just physical adapters for mounting, such as a 2.5 to 3.5" bracket. The SATA power and data interfaces are the same, you'd just need somewhere to mount it in your case.

Truckdriver

Does this look like the correct one for 500gb?
Text from my manual "The current SATA3 interface allows up to 6.0 Gb/s data transfer rate."
My calculations are 6 gigbits = 750 megabytes
The samsung ssd has a transfer rate of 560 megabytes.

SAMSUNG 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB 2.5” Internal Solid State Hard Drive, Upgrade PC or Laptop Memory and Storage for IT Pros, Creators, Everyday Users, MZ-77E500B/AM https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QBMD6P4/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1