Will the GTX 580 work with my PC?

Torguy

Hey guys,

I wanted to know if my computer setup posted below will work with the GTX 580 which im planning on getting sometime next month. I am upgrading as you can see from a EVGA 9600 GT.

Also what PSU do you recommend? But please keep in mind im on a very tight budget.

E8400 3.0Ghz
Asus P5Q Pro Turbo Motherboard
EVGA 9600 GT 512mb Superclocked Video card
4GB DDR2 800Mhz Patriot RAM
230GB 7200rpm Western Digital Hard drive
Antec Sonata III 500 (computer case)

Thanks a lot guys!

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
What power supply do you currently have?

What is your budget for the power supply?

This.

Also have you considered overclocking that E8400 or at getting a Quad core to even things out if you did get the 580?

Aastii

VIP Member
This.

Also have you considered overclocking that E8400 or at getting a Quad core to even things out if you did get the 580?

This. Funkysnair found that a GTX460 was bottlenecked in certain games by a C2D processor. With a GTX580 which is a fair bit more powerful than the 460, you will be looking at certain bottlenecks with your current processor in nearly every game

Russ88765

That's a fairly long card, can it even fit in a mid tower? I'm guessing if it can, it will be just barely, and that makes me worry about how hot it would get due to poor airflow.

Last edited:

Torguy

This. Funkysnair found that a GTX460 was bottlenecked in certain games by a C2D processor. With a GTX580 which is a fair bit more powerful than the 460, you will be looking at certain bottlenecks with your current processor in nearly every game

I do have my E8400 overclocked to 3.8Ghz, and I will not be upgrading my cpu anytime soon unless I sell my current computer. The other thing is that im not an avid gamer, just want a top of the line card so it will last me down the line.

I also want to be able to play Crysis and Battlefield Bad Company 2 at Maxed out settings but with 1920x1080, not anything more than that.

By the way, here is my case:

http://store.antec.com/Product/enclosure-sonata_family/sonata-iii-500/0-761345-15137-5.aspx

Last edited:

CardboardSword

It'll fit, but there is no way you're gonna be able to power a 580 off of a $50 power supply. A half decent power supply for that card will probably require at least double that. Not sure on exact pricing because I'm Canadian so things tend to be a touch more expensive up here, but I wouldn't be comfortable with a cheapo PSU with such a high quality card.

Torguy

It'll fit, but there is no way you're gonna be able to power a 580 off of a $50 power supply. A half decent power supply for that card will probably require at least double that. Not sure on exact pricing because I'm Canadian so things tend to be a touch more expensive up here, but I wouldn't be comfortable with a cheapo PSU with such a high quality card.

lol, yea Torguy is my name, as in Toronto Ontario, Canada! But yea I hear what your saying.

CardboardSword

lol, yea Torguy is my name, as in Toronto Ontario, Canada! But yea I hear what your saying.

Wow, never even thought of that haha. Even still though, point still stands. You're gonna be looking at ~$120 for a half decent supply, maybe even more for some wiggle room in the future. Its a bad idea to buy just enough for your current needs in the power market.

Torguy

Wow, never even thought of that haha. Even still though, point still stands. You're gonna be looking at ~$120 for a half decent supply, maybe even more for some wiggle room in the future. Its a bad idea to buy just enough for your current needs in the power market.

Yea eh, man I want to spend as minimal as possible. I want to just simply upgrade my card because the 9600 GT is just lagging too much in games now. But yea I guess I will have to get a better psu no choice, maybe something like a 850 watt.

I just hope the card fits and has no heating issues. Like I dont even care if I dont max out the GTX 580, aslong as I get a good boost compared to the 9600 GT.

Would adding more case fans help at all?

Aastii

VIP Member
Yea eh, man I want to spend as minimal as possible. I want to just simply upgrade my card because the 9600 GT is just lagging too much in games now. But yea I guess I will have to get a better psu no choice, maybe something like a 850 watt.

I just hope the card fits and has no heating issues. Like I dont even care if I dont max out the GTX 580, aslong as I get a good boost compared to the 9600 GT.

Would adding more case fans help at all?

850W would be extreme overkill. If you were to upgrade, 650W would be plenty.

Adding more case fans won't help, unless your temperatures are running high

CardboardSword

Well if you don't plan on getting a new computer anytime soon, a 580 is basically a waste of money anyway. You could spend much less on something like a 6870 (Or a GTX 560 when it comes out.) and put the money saved towards a new PSU. You'll still probably be limited by your processor anyway, so it wouldn't lead to a decrease in game performance.

Torguy

Well if you don't plan on getting a new computer anytime soon, a 580 is basically a waste of money anyway. You could spend much less on something like a 6870 (Or a GTX 560 when it comes out.) and put the money saved towards a new PSU. You'll still probably be limited by your processor anyway, so it wouldn't lead to a decrease in game performance.

I was honestly considering doing that also, just going for a cheaper card. But it wont last me a long time thats the problem. So even if it is effected by the cpu, at least I will have a really good video card, and when the time is right I'll pick up an i7.

Thanks guys.