Will this setup work , is it good?

GimpsGTP

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512KB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail

Model# BX80532PG3000D Item # N82E16819116156 Specification
Model: Intel Pentium 4 w/ Hyper Threading
Core: Northwood
Operating Frequency: 3.0GHz
FSB: 800MHz
Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/512K
Voltage: 1.525V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 478
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2
Warranty: 3-year MFG
Packaging: Retail box (with Heatsink and Fan)

ASUS "P4P800 SE" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL
Model# P4P800SE Item # N82E16813131484
Specifications:
Supported CPU: Intel Pentium® 4/Celeron Processors(HT, Prescott Ready)
Chipset: Intel 865PE + ICH5R
FSB: 800/533/400MHz
RAM: 4x DIMM for Dual-Channel DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB(Hyper-Path)
IDE: 2x ATA 100 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X, 5x PCI, 1x ASUS Wi-Fi
Ports: 2xPS/2, 1xLPT, 1xCOM, RCA SPDIF Out, 8xUSB2.0(Rear 4), 1xLAN, Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: ADI AD1985 6-Channel Audio
Onboard LAN: Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet
Onboard SATA/RAID: 2 x Serial ATA by ICH5R, RAID 0/1
Form Factor: ATX

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "100562L" -Retail
Model# 100562L Item # N82E16814102410
Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: ATI Radeon 9600PRO/400MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB DDR/600MHz
BUS: AGP 4X/8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out (S-Video / Composite) + DVI
Support 3D API: DirectX 9, OpenGL 1.5
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536
Cable/Accessories: S-Video to RCA adaptor, Composite RCA Cable, Driver CD
Retail Box (See pics for details)

Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD1600JD, OEM Drive Only
Model# WD1600JD Item # N82E16822144152
Specifications:
Capacity: 160GB
Average Seek Time: 8.9 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Interface: Serial ATA
Features: Not specified
Manufacturer Warranty: 3 years
Packaging: OEM Drive Only

Aopen 16X Double Layer DVD+/- RW Black Burner, Model DUW1608, OEM
Model# 91.4ID37.004 Item # N82E16827140115
Specifications:
Write Speed: 2.4x DVD+R DL (Double Layer), 16x DVD+R, 4x DVD+RW, 8x DVD-R, 4x DVD-RW, 48x CD-R, 32x CD-RW
Read Speed: 48x CD-ROM, 16x DVD-ROM
Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE
Buffer: 2MB
OS Support: Windows XP/ 2000/ ME/ 98SE
Features: JustLink Buffer Underrun Errors Prevention Technology, Dynamic Damping System (DDS) to reduce vibration/noise, JustSpeed technology for adaptive writing speeds.
Packaging: OEM (see pictures for details)

Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail

Model# VS512MB400 Item # N82E16820145026 Specification
Manufacturer: Corsair
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5
Support Voltage: 2.5V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: 64M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
It'll work but the video card is comparatively old :) Works ... but is older than the relative rest of the system :)

Bobo

banned
GimpsGTP said:
what video card would you recommend? other then that is that a pretty good setup?

Looking for a cheap video card, get the GeForce FX 5200 ~$100 I have it, and it works for everything I do, but I don't really do the really extensive games. Depends on your budget and what you plan to do, ie business, small gaming, or Doom3-type gaming.

It is a good Intel setup, but IMO, and in a lot of other people's, AMD is better. Praetor could tell you about that, he has the Athlon 3500, I have the 3400

speedyink

VIP Member
The GeForce 5200 FX is much worse than the one he has right now. If he wants really to use it for the new graphic intensive games I would think he'd want the GeForce 6800 Ultra, but it is very expensive. I think his video card is fine right now, but thats just my opinion.

Bobo

banned
Get a mobo with PCI Express

Even if the cards aren't that great now, it is getting better, soon AGP will be obselete, like PCI video cards.

Do PCI Express mobos come with an AGP slot too??

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Even if the cards aren't that great now, it is getting better, soon AGP will be obselete, like PCI video cards.
By the time they are really better the current setups will be obsolete.

Do PCI Express mobos come with an AGP slot too??
With a few freak exceptions, no. The whole point of PCI-Express was to eliminate the need for AGP

The 6800 is pretty good, I like the 6800GE better
The 6800GE uses a 6800.

GimpsGTP

Praetor said:
Depends on the budget and the intent for the system :)

no much gaming, basically just nice graphics for watching video clips and alot of online uses. ill spend around 100 US

GimpsGTP

Bobo said:
Looking for a cheap video card, get the GeForce FX 5200 ~$100 I have it, and it works for everything I do, but I don't really do the really extensive games. Depends on your budget and what you plan to do, ie business, small gaming, or Doom3-type gaming.

It is a good Intel setup, but IMO, and in a lot of other people's, AMD is better. Praetor could tell you about that, he has the Athlon 3500, I have the 3400

Why is AMD that much better, are they cheaper for the same speeds? i just want a quick computer to do all the basics, music, videos, online uses, and has capability to store alot of info. would someone want to suggest an AMD setup for me?
Nick

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Why is AMD that much better, are they cheaper for the same speeds?
They arent cheaper for the same speeds/class, they are much more efficient chips though :)

i just want a quick computer to do all the basics, music, videos, online uses, and has capability to store alot of info.
Doesnt matter whether you got AMD or INtel then :)

Bobo

banned
If your getting intel, dont go into the 3ghz range, IMO they are toooooo unstable. My athlon 64 3400 is plenty fast enough for everyting, even though it is only 2.41 ghz. Top speed required for anything I have ever heard of is like 1.5GHz. But you should get AMD, IMO. If you havent noticed, on games, it says: "required processor speed: Intel pentium 1GHX, AMD 800MHZ" or something like that. Just tells you that AMD performs higher that Intel

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If your getting intel, dont go into the 3ghz range, IMO they are toooooo unstable
How do you figure?

My athlon 64 3400 is plenty fast enough for everyting, even though it is only 2.41 ghz
Plenty fast is an opinion though :)

Top speed required for anything I have ever heard of is like 1.5GHz.
So why do you have a 2.41GHz chip? :p The requirements are just that, requirements. An ideal platform is something else

Just tells you that AMD performs higher that Intel
No. It just says that AMD is more clock efficient. :)

Bobo

banned
Praetor said:
How do you figure?

My friends, particularly one other computer geek

Praetor said:
Plenty fast is an opinion though :)

Yes, an option, a good one? not always.

Praetor said:
So why do you have a 2.41GHz chip? :p The requirements are just that, requirements. An ideal platform is something else

Because my dad bought this computer for me, and he said that I should get one that would still stand up somewhat as technology progresses. Basically he wants this one when I get a new one, so he can replace his 800MHz piece of junk

Praetor said:
No. It just says that AMD is more clock efficient. :)

And the difference is?????

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
My friends, particularly one other computer geek
LOL. Well if Intel chips faster than 3GHz were that "unstable" then intel would be in big doodoo for the last couple years since their NorthwoodB-3.06

And the difference is?????
Intel overcomes the clock inefficiency with sheer clock speed.... its just like the low-latency vs bandwidth argument with RAM

Bobo

banned
Praetor said:
LOL. Well if Intel chips faster than 3GHz were that "unstable" then intel would be in big doodoo for the last couple years since their NorthwoodB-3.06

They're not THAT unstable, just enough to freak out a person who's computer broke because of unstableness
:p

That would be me, if you hadnt figured that out :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
They're not THAT unstable, just enough to freak out a person who's computer broke because of unstableness
Sounds more like unreliable power supply or bad OCing or something to that effect, CPUs are one of the most stable things (running stock of course) in a computer ... they have to be :)

Bobo

banned
Praetor said:
Sounds more like unreliable power supply or bad OCing or something to that effect, CPUs are one of the most stable things (running stock of course) in a computer ... they have to be :)

No, it was the RAM

And, no, I wasn't OCing

OK, so scratch what I said. But I still dont think they are stable. But then again, i have yet to use an Intel CPU other than at school (ugh)