Will tis RAM work on my motherboard?

Aastii

VIP Member
As you can see from my signature i am running an Asus P5N-E SLI. In the manual and on the site it says it can take up to 8GB of 6400 DDR2 RAM. That is what i ahve. However i have read on several forums and reviews etc that 1066 RAM has been used.

I have the latest bios so with this most recent update, could they have updated the RAM capabilities so 1066 can be used aswell as 800, or is it just people who have changes voltages or something,, or could it just be people blowing smoke?

If it can run 1066 RAM, how much performance difference would there be between 8GB 800MHz RAM and 8GB 1066MHz RAM?

Dazzeerr

I'm not sure if they would of made it available in a BIOS update, seems a bit strange.

But i can answer your other question. You won't see that much of a performance boost from 800 to 1066Mhz, especially with 8GB, which is more than plenty. Not worth the money at all in my opinion.

Aastii

VIP Member
I'm not sure if they would of made it available in a BIOS update, seems a bit strange.

But i can answer your other question. You won't see that much of a performance boost from 800 to 1066Mhz, especially with 8GB, which is more than plenty. Not worth the money at all in my opinion.

Yea i was a bit skeptical of the bios thing, i was kind of clutching at straws for ideas how it could be made able to acomidate better RAM than what it originally could with no apparent changes being made.

thanks for the info on the 1066 and 800 MHz though, saved me a fair bit of money right there :p

2048Megabytes

If you want more processing power I would look at a Socket LGA 775 Quad-Core processor or video card.

Edit add on: A new video card that has more processing power than your present.

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
If you want more processing power I would look at a Socket LGA 775 Quad-Core processor or video card.

Edit add on: A new video card that has more processing power than your present.

Yea i was thinking of getting a new processor, im still on conroe technology now, im on the last major dual core conro that intel made, the 1333MHz (that is the only difference) fsb 2.66GHz one. A quad core or even a better dual core would make a hugely noticeable difference.

I need quite a bit for my system though really, new processor, video card (either a couple of 8800GTs and trade my 8600GTs+some money for em or maybe even switch to a single powerful ATI card), a new HDD or 2, i don;t have enough storage atm and the one i have is damn slow. I know that the hard drive is what is holding back systems now-a-days, but even so, mine suck so bad.

2048Megabytes

When is the last time you defragmented your hard drive? I would run "Disk Cleanup" and "Disk Defragmenter" with your Windows operating system.

If you want a fast hard drive take a look at this Western Digital Raptor 74 gigabyte hard drive (68.5 gigabytes after formatting). It's $100 but you will definitely see an increase in hard drive read speeds. Be sure you load your operating system on to it so your startup times will be a lot faster.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136033

Aastii

VIP Member
When is the last time you defragmented your hard drive? I would run "Disk Cleanup" and "Disk Defragmenter" with your Windows operating system.

If you want a fast hard drive take a look at this Western Digital Raptor 74 gigabyte hard drive (68.5 gigabytes after formatting). It's $100 but you will definitely see an increase in hard drive read speeds. Be sure you load your operating system on to it so your startup times will be a lot faster.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136033

Thankyou for your replies here :D

I defrag week or so, if i have been tinkering with hardware i do it every few days. I don't use windows, i have a copy of O&O defrag, if you haven't heard of it look it up, it is one of the best software purchases i have ever made.

As for the hard drive a couple of things:

I would love to get either a huge drive or an uber fast drive, but i can't afford one at the minute, very skint and saving for my mum's 40th which is in a couple of months time.

Also, the link you sent, thankyou for taking time to look up a drive, i appreciate it alot, but newegg is useless to me, other than giving me ideas. They only ship with the US (if it's the .cn site, then it's canada), so it can't get to europe, more specifically, the UK, where i live