Will upgrading video card speed comp up?

Greg J.

VIP Member
My GeForce2 MX 100/200 32MB works great ! I'm wondering if upgrading the video card to something better and faster may improve Windows Performance? (The appearence time of Windows takes a few seconds sometimes when I load programs like WORD and PowerPoint. (Also for: Intense Internet, anti-virus, HUGE pictures, Windows XP graphics speed). :confused:

72montecarlo

Yes upgrading your graphics will make a huge difference. Not in normal tasks as you described but games will run better. If you need your computer to load up faster or load programs faster a new cpu is in order.

Grimulus

it won't make your computer "faster". It can make gaming more fast paced because it's lag free. desktop use you will see no difference.

Greg J.

VIP Member
Cool

Thanks guys. I WISH I had the money to build a new computer. Sadly, however, money's tight. Btw, I wonder if Praetor sometimes sleeps while standing up. :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Btw, I wonder if Praetor sometimes sleeps while standing up
For the stuff you've said you're doing, it probably wont benifit you to upgrade the video system :)

Btw, I wonder if Praetor sometimes sleeps while standing up
I typically dont sleep and if I do it's usually sitting :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Guy's he's runnin 1GB! :) Which is more than than enough for damn near anything that qualifies as "common windows applications". A newer HDD would probably do the trick though :)

Greg J.

VIP Member
Thanks Praetor

A new, faster, bigger hard drive is in order. Maybe Hitachi or Samsung.
I GOT ENOUGH RAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Motherboards MAXED OUT !!!!!!! :mad:

Timbo

You may not need a new HD to get the performance you want. When was the last time you reformatted? That can drastically improve windows performance because you are getting rid of SOOO much stuff that you didn't even know was there.

Greg J.

VIP Member
I might not know you, but.....

I keep my system clean. No dirt, no viruses, no spyware, clean registry, no corruption, always updated on EVERYTHING. Cold computer. NO OVERCLOCKING. I'm sorry, a reformat ain't the solution. The hard drive is SLOW period (as this Maxtor model I have was built that way.) :eek: