win 10 drivers

beers

Staff member
Windows Update.

I wouldn't bother with a driver update application, usually they contain loads of bloatware or malware. Just download the latest drivers for your components from the manufacturers website. Windows Update is pretty good about installing interim drivers so you can use the device while you find a more fully featured driver set.

DEPLAO40

Can anyone recommend a good free driver update program.
thanks for the reply, the reason for the question is I have bad graphics driver, at least the computer thinks so and sometimes looses video then it pops back. I tried to update the driver from Intel but no driver available. Then went to Lenovo and had the same result.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
So the driver randomly crashes and recovers? It could be faulty RAM.

DEPLAO40

Well, thanks for trying to help. Tried that solution before. I tried again, same no results for this product. Guess I bought a piece of junk. No more Intel for me. Next time I get the BSD I'll drop kick this junker and forget the whole thing. I appreciate you attempt to help.
Dave

Darren

Staff member
You give up easy.

What are the rest of your specs and laptop model? When you got Windows 10, did you upgrade or fresh install?

If you haven't already, go into device manager, right click on the entry for your GPU, and uninstall it. Reboot. W10 will detect and install the driver it needs. Not sure how exactly you did it when you said you reinstalled in the first time. W10 can be a bit finnicky about this kind of thing.

DEPLAO40

Been fighting this problem for a long time. The OS started as WIN 8, then WIN 8.1 The problem occurred when it was WIN 8.0
The computer is a desk top Lenovo . I tried Intel's website to no avail. Went to Lenovo website, tried a couple of driver programs, read tons of information on the internet. When I get the BSD it refers info about the graphics driver and most times the computer is froze after that. Did have problems on the update to WIN 10 as the machine crashed about 6 times during the transfer however the system does not show any problems. I do have to say that on my old emachiine the WIN 10 update is different but better. The old emachine has NVDIA for graphics.
New emachine Inter core i3, Lenovo, Need any orther information ??
Dave

Darren

Staff member
Your hardware might just be downright faulty. Probably a bit overkill, but a clean install of 10 might be a last resort. At least try that before drop kicking it. :p

Might be bad RAM too as Voyager mentioned. Try memtest.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Might be bad RAM too as Voyager mentioned. Try memtest.
Even if it passes Memtest without errors, swap out the RAM for known good RAM and see if the issue still occurs.

I had an HD4870 and then an HD6870. Driver crashed all the time. Tested EVERYTHING and nothing failed. Finally just swapped out the RAM and lo and behold it didn't crash anymore.

DEPLAO40

Ran the memory test, no problems. I think that I will wait for one more BSD before replacing the RAM and doing a re install. That will give me time to learn how to re install. Thanks much for the help.
Dave

DEPLAO40

I came across what is called driver identifier, I notice it has the driver that I am using. There lots of drivers with the same properties. The only difference is the size mfg, OS If I could ID the size of my driver do you think it would be worth a try. Not sure how the software works but maybe I can fake my way through the process. Driver cut out again, message stated driver stopped and proceeded working.