Win. 10 ISO download issue

Da Mail Man

Greetings All,

1)...I acquired a Dell Inspiron tablet ( I believe called an All-In-One with touch screen) + (rather large) running Windows 10 Home....The previous user had forgotten password to get in and decided to part with it to me.

2)....I got in with Hirens CD on a flash drive and ran a full diagnostic and all appears well...

3)...I have the product ID, service tag number, and installation key which I also pulled off the unit etc......

4)...I decided to do a "reset to factory specs "after uninstalling all the "upgrades" for this unit and, I also changed the Admin user name just to see if I could.

5)...After the lengthy "reset", the unit will "partially" boot to the log in screen HOWEVER, the name it reads as per the user name I changed it to, gets a displayed message that the profile cannot be found (or similar).

6)...I decided to start over and attempt to DL Windows 10 Home (what is in this unit) ISO , and here is the start of my problems....I tried utilizing the "Windows installation tool" but, get an error each time I attempt to use it....Scrapping that idea, I will attempt to use "RUFUS" to create the USB boot-able media creator.

7)....CURRENT PROBLEM IS: I SEE NO PLACE THAT I CAN DL IT W/OUT THAT DAMNED WINDOWS MEDIA MAKER INSTALLED!

Is there another place to dl "10" or somewhat of a work-a-round to get the ISO?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That program will download the iso to the flash drive???
Yes, all you got to do is follow the prompts to do it. You run the tool and follow the prompts to create the usb drive. You aren't saying what this error is you are getting. If you actually did a factory reset by using the " reset this pc" option then you should be back to factory providing you chose to remove all data.

I got to say that most of your issues are self inflicted.

Da Mail Man

Yes, all you got to do is follow the prompts to do it.
and I never got past the error message---I will re-run it and post in a few min.

You run the tool and follow the prompts to create the usb drive.
-see above-

You aren't saying what this error is you are getting.
will post pict in a min or so...

If you actually did a factory reset by using the " reset this pc" option then you should be back to factory providing you chose to remove all data.
I chose to remove all data and to set to factory as if purchased new..

I got to say that most of your issues are self inflicted.
nope..I followed the prompts to set to factory, downloaded teh MS usb tool,and that's it to where I am right now..

error message.jpgPicture0001.jpgPicture0002.jpgPicture0003.jpg

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Do you have anything newer than Windows 7? That's probably your issue.

Da Mail Man

I think I do on a laptop (win 10) but, I don't want to corrupt anything there...To clarify, the usb creator tool will dl the windows 10 iso to it?

Da Mail Man

**It may have been the OS....

I dl'ed the usb tool and am dl'ing the iso to it as I type...Will see what happens......
MS should have posted this "exception" in there web pages to prevent confusion.

Da Mail Man

I had a thought....I believe that this tablet may have a "restore" partition...If so, how could I "activate" it?...I can access tablet with Hirens......

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I had a thought....I believe that this tablet may have a "restore" partition...If so, how could I "activate" it?...I can access tablet with Hirens......
Not worth trying. Just reinstall with the Windows 10 installer.
I think I do on a laptop (win 10) but, I don't want to corrupt anything there...To clarify, the usb creator tool will dl the windows 10 iso to it?
As long as you don't choose an upgrade or update option it won't do anything to your laptop.

Da Mail Man

It was slow-going but, using a 64bit computer I was able to effectuate the restoration and tablet i working.....

I did not do an upgrade or anything as such....Loaded the os and all into the flash drive and then, into the tablet....

I will still "study-up" as to put in a recovery partition as was original out of the factoy...A bit of reading to do.....

Couriant

Depending on how old the Dell machine is, you can use their OS Recovery Tool

When you run this program, it will need the service tag. If you don't see it on the bottom, in command prompt type wmic bios get serialnumber for the 7 digit service tag.