Win 7 boot up repair

Da Mail Man

Greetings,
A friend has a corrupted Windows 7 Home Premium Os on their Dell Desktop....They are getting an "explorer can't be loaded (or similar) error when attempting to boot (can't remember the exact error message).....No longer has Disc!....Can any Win 7 OS Disc be used to REPAIR the OS? (such as other variations of Win 7, ultimate, etc)?

Da Mail Man

Thanks for the reply!

If I were to locate and download Win 7 Home Premium iso and burn it to a disc, from what I have read, it will give me the ability (if I understood it correctly) to REPAIR a Windows 7 installation W/O deleting data (picts. files, folders, etc)....What my intent is, is to reinstall the OS (overwrite to fix corrupted files) w/out data damage as mentioned above....Am I correct in this understanding?

Should I locate a link to achieve this download, upon placing the disc into the optical drive, will it again ask for a product key code to proceed OR, is there a grace period of sorts...(computer is not mine and I do not run "7").

Please advise and thanks.

Da Mail Man

(Caps are not yelling but, only serve to segregate portions/responses of the conversation)

Have you tried running the SFC /scannow at the command window?
THAT IS ONE I FORGOT! I WAS ATTEMPTING TO HELP A FAMILY MEMBER IN ANOTHER STATE.

This will scan the system for missing/corrupt system files and possibly fix them.
THAT WILL BE ONE OF MY NEXT STEPS BUT, UNTIL THEN, LOOKING FOR THAT ILLUSIVE ISO

Have you tried doing a system restore back to a day when the system was working fine?
I REMEMBER ATTEMPTING TO DO SO BUT, DON'T REMEMBER FOR SURE...SYSTEM RESTORE WAS TURNED ON BUT, I AM BLANK IN MY MEMORY....HAVE ATTEMPTED RESTORE MBR AND A FEW OTHER STEPS BUT, NO LUCK..I AM OVERLOADED WITH "CRAPOLA" HERE AND INTERSTATE AS MENTIONED ABOVE AND SIMPLY DON'T REMEMBER.

Hopefully system restore was turned on.
YES, IT WAS BUT, DON'T REMEMBER SEEING IT.

As far as using a cd to repair the OS, follow this.
HAVE TO FIND ISO FIRST.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You'll need the activation key but here is the official MS site.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

I would also recommend upgrading to windows 10 as its still free to do so. You'll no longer have to worry about having a recovery cd or an activation key. Once the upgrade has been completed and the installation activated, it will have a digital license so if windows will ever need to be installed in the future, you won't need the activation key, it will reactivate once its at the desktop.

Da Mail Man

You'll need the activation key but here is the official MS site.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

I would also recommend upgrading to windows 10 as its still free to do so. You'll no longer have to worry about having a recovery cd or an activation key. Once the upgrade has been completed and the installation activated, it will have a digital license so if windows will ever need to be installed in the future, you won't need the activation key, it will reactivate once its at the desktop.

#########################

I saw that link and one of the questions I had was if they had a ser # written down and saved or even the disc that they used to upgrade from/to and that answer was "no", that it was either damaged or lost between 2 moves.

I read someplace that "7" can be DL'ed as a trial version and then shuts down (or similar) after 30 days(?).

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Let me ask this.. When the "explorer" error occurs, is windows still useable? If so, you can download a program to recover the activation key, such magic jellybean keyfinder.

Da Mail Man

Let me ask this..
OK
When the "explorer" error occurs, is windows still useable?
NO - THERE IS/WAS SOME SORT OF AN ERROR MESSAGE REGARDING IT. i E-MAILED HIM ABOUT EXACTLY WHAT THE MESSAGE SAID AND AM WAITING FOR A REPLY....SOMETHING ABOUT "DIDN'T LOAD OR SOMETHING".

If so, you can download a program to recover the activation key, such magic jellybean keyfinder.
YES, I KNOW BUT,NO WAY TO "APPLY IT".... STILL "KAPUT"...I GOTTA LOCATE A HOME PREMIUM VERSION.....MY EYEBALLS ARE GETTING BURNED OUT.

Da Mail Man

UPDATE -
Just got an e-mail as to what the error message was when stating up --
“Windows Explorer has stopped working” .

Da Mail Man

I believed there was an error in attempting that also...They aren't available at present - hopefully Tomorrow or Friday (told you I was "mentally overloaded" with this and simply cannot recall)....

Last edited: