Win 7 has edge popup window

positron

I have windows 7 and now several times every day a popup appears on my desk top which says:
"The new Microsoft Edge is here and brings you the best of the web." Then buttons "download now" and "maybe later".

How do I get rid of the pop up advertisement on my desktop. Really annoying.

Thanks for time and efforts.

pos

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you post a screenshot of this notification? FYI, you can still get the free update to windows 10 by going here and download the tool and follow the prompts to "upgrade this pc". Windows 7 support has ended and you won't get any more updates.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Since you are using windows 7 and not windows 10, might be a little difficult. Looks like you are using firefox browser so try this.

Open firefox. click on the menu box(3 horizontal lines) top right corner, click on options, click on privacy and security on the left. Then scroll down to notications under permissions. click on settings then block anything that resembles ms edge.

positron

Thanks John for your help and time.

I checked and there is nothing at all listed under permissions except three listings in "add ons"

addons.mozilla.org
fpn.firefox.com
private-networks.firefox.com

All three allowed. I just opened up firefox and as many times no advertising pop up happened. So it appears to be certain times the popup
occurs. I hope this helps.

Thanks again John.
pos

positron

I think you may be in the wrong spot. This is where you need to be.

Yes, here is my screen print. I can't figure it out John. Popup is not occurring now, but will tomorrow if the past few days are any indication.

Need to add that my windows "update" has been set to "never" for quite a while.

Notifications Permissions.png

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think there is a way to actually disable the notification to download it. I actually thought edge wouldn't run on 7 but according to system requirements it will. It would be in your best interest to upgrade to 10 anyway. I can help you make it look like 7 as far as start menu and task bar, quick launch, etc.

positron

So evidently Microsoft is downloading the ad whether I want it or not? My "never" status for Windows Update is worthless?
Frankly I was happier with XP and don't like either 7 or 10. But that is just me.

Anyway, thank you John for your time and efforts. It is always much appreciated.

pos

Last edited:

positron

I wonder how I am getting the pop up ad for Edge unless someone is hacking my computer with the add? I have pop up blocks activated on both
Firefox and IE 11.

I have never heard a good thing about win 10, only bad.
Secondly, I don't like win 7 either. It is huge program with all sorts of things I don't need.
I have to reboot once in a while right after the initial boot.
I tried cleaning the C: drive, with the internal windows program and it screwed up my windows installation so bad I had to do an image restore. I had to import my favorites, emails, all the updates etc.
My computer runs no faster even though I am using faster, dual CPUs.
The trouble shoot virtually never finds the problem.
Although I have system repair discs, creating one is now impossible. All I get is an error box. Have for years.
scannow doesn't fix all the problems

I have an XP computer and it is lightning fast, but I keep it off the internet. It is just for my designing, account books etc.
Before that, I never had a problem with an older dell XP, never an intrusion/hack from internet. Loved it until the motherboard died (not HD nor power supply).
If I could find another computer that worked with dell XP, I would install my HDs and use it.

I have probably overstayed my welcome. I appreciate your time and help John.

pos

Jiniix

If you have installed any Windows updates in 2020 or maybe even the later half of 2019, there's a good chance Microsoft sneaked in some Edge ads.
It's a terrible practice but it is how is :s
It's kind of funny, because since Windows 10 has become the bloatmonster it is, there's many good tools to keep Microsoft shenanigans at bay - so it becomes a good OS all of a sudden.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder how I am getting the pop up ad for Edge unless someone is hacking my computer with the add?
Most likely it was a windows update that was installed that is now advertising the new MS Edge.
I have never heard a good thing about win 10, only bad.
And those bad things are?

I don't like the way Windows 10 looks out of the box, I've changed it to how I like it. I've got an actual start menu that looks like XP/Vista/7, I've also got the quick launch bar at the bottom.

Instead of listening to what others say, you might want to at least try it and see for yourself.
Secondly, I don't like win 7 either. It is huge program with all sorts of things I don't need.
Then don't use them. Every new version of windows had some new apps or features that microsoft thought would come in handy. It's up to the end user if they want to use them or not.
I have to reboot once in a while right after the initial boot.
Sounds like an issue with the windows install or possible malware issue.
I tried cleaning the C: drive, with the internal windows program and it screwed up my windows installation so bad I had to do an image restore. I had to import my favorites, emails, all the updates etc.
I don't recommend using the windows disk cleanup utility. About the only thing you should be doing is running Ccleaner(just the cleaner not the registry cleaner) and Malwarebytes every couple weeks.
My computer runs no faster even though I am using faster, dual CPUs
How much ram is installed? 8gb should be minimum for windows 7. You don't have dual cpu's, you most likely have a dual core cpu. Big difference. Dual cores just don't cut it anymore with the newer operating systems. They were fine with XP, but system requirements increased big time once Vista came out. Minimum requirements nowadays should be a quad core with at least 8gb of ram installed. Using an SSD for your boot drive is truly the only way to make a system run faster.
The trouble shoot virtually never finds the problem.
Although I have system repair discs, creating one is now impossible. All I get is an error box. Have for years.
scannow doesn't fix all the problems
There is nothing out there that will fix all the issues a computer may have. its not all cut and dry issues. I have my own computer repair repair business that I do on the side for over 20 years now and trust me I've come across some head hurting issues. I've helped hundreds of users on this forum as well.
I have an XP computer and it is lightning fast,

XP was a great and fast OS but its past its lifetime.
If I could find another computer that worked with dell XP,

You won't. No hardware today will run on XP, called driver availability.

Also be aware there might be an issue with your restore image.

The main thing that needs to happen is to be educated properly on what to do and what not to do when using a computer. I do my best to train all my clients on this procedure so I don't have to go back so much to fix their issues and low and behold no matter how hard I try they don't listen. I give them all the free tools and programs to keep their system clean and running smoothly and they just won't do it.

In the end its your decision to run whatever OS you want. I'm just trying to better educate you. Let me know if I can be of any more help.