Win 7 / Ubuntu Linux

codename47deni

I already have Win 7 installed. I was curious about Linux, so I've downloaded Ubuntu Linux, 64-bit. Version 11.10.

But the installation screens just look very messed up. Wrong colors and it all looks interlaced. I think it installed successfully, but when I try to boot it up, all I get is a pink screen. I can see at the top that the OS is running, it's just that I can't see anything.

What am I doing wrong?

wolfeking

banned
a couple of things could be wrong here.

1. Download issues. Did you install via WUBI (the windows installer), or a CD/DVD install? If optical media, then did you check the MD5 hash, or whichever checksum is used these days?
2. Driver issues. If you have a H67 or Z68 motherboard, then remove the 6670 and try with the IPU on the processor. That will tell if it is a compatibility issue. There have been lots of issues with ATI cards and Linux.
3. Bad GPU. Same steps as #2.
4. Corrupt install. Reinstall and test again, I would suggest at the bare minimum checking the checksums, or redownloading before doing this.

2048Megabytes

I personally couldn't stand Ubuntu Version 11.04. They changed the whole Graphic User Interface from versions 10 and 9.

I like Ubuntu 10.04 and I would recommend this version of Ubuntu over all others. Ubuntu 11.10 likely has a lot of bugs they haven't worked out. If you really want Ubuntu version 11 go with version 11.04.

Edit: I would also recommend installing Linux Ubuntu on a different hard drive. I use two hard drives in my tower. I simply switch the start up priority in BIOS if I want to use either Windows or Linux Ubuntu.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
my point of view is simple. in two months Ubuntu is dead to me. Flat out.

But as I see it, the OP asked about it, so that is what we should help with, not go off fighting about which version that he should use.

2048Megabytes

My point of view is simple. in two months Ubuntu is dead to me. Flat out.

I see you dislike the Version 11 of Ubuntu as well. I will be looking for another Linux Operating System in the future when I decide to abandon Ubuntu version 10. I hate what programmers did to Ubuntu Version 11. From my experience with the operating system ran sluggish and I hated the graphic user interface.