Win Vista Business - Error Loading Profile

Xwardos

i'm experiencing an issue with a user profile when logging in. i'm on a Domain and log in through active directory. i have this particular user that whenever i log on with his profile to set it up, the OS considers it as a 'TEMP' profile and looses all the settings i had implemented once i log off.

basic scenario:

- Logging on through a domain network
- User is considered as 'TEMP' by the OS and looses settings.

any idea's on how to resolve this issue?

cjmarsh81

Does this happen on multiple workstations or just the one?

If it is on one workstation it is because the profile ie c:\users\%userprofile% has been deleted without removing the user from the workstation. Each logon afterwards goes to a temp profile because it cannot find the one stored in the registry.

With Vista and up you cannot just delete the profile directory. You need to remove it via the users applet.

Try the following (steps from memory so may not be completely correct, not running windows at the moment so cannot check.) Do this as a different user, ie domain admin etc.

* Start - Right click computer and properties
* Advanced settings top left of the window
* Forget which tab, however look for the user profiles button.
* In the user profiles window you should see a list of users that have logged onto the workstation. Choose the one that is giving you trouble and hit delete. Reboot and log them back on.