Win XP Home SP2

bpatters69

Hello Folks,

I am running Win XP Home and I made the mistake of installing SP2 and now the modem will not work. I have since uninstalled SP2 and the modem will still not dial up. The only way I can get the modem to dial up is to open the dial-up app off the desktop and wait for it to time out telling me to manually dial the local number for the ISP. I dial the number for the ISP, hit ok, hang up the phone and the modem connects with my ISP.

Since this is my mom's PC, I know she will not be able to use the internet by doing what I did. Here are some of the things I have tried:

1. Turning off the Windows Firewall in the modem properties
2. Switching out the modem
3. Since I uninstalled SP2, I am running XP Home Version 2002 with no updates.
4. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the modem and its software

I have seen several posts saying that SP2 causes port problems but no fixes.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Billl

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Since I uninstalled SP2, I am running XP Home Version 2002 with no updates.
Unfortunately "non-SP2" doesnt narrow it down enough ... whats the complete version number (if you've got it) i.e., something like Build 2600.xps1.020825-1920 or something (that's SP1 btw)

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the modem and its software
I assume you meant uninstalled physically? Did you also uninstall in device manager? :)

kojo97

i have the same problem as you do...
try to install the sp2 first and then install your isp dial-up software.
it work for me and hope it work for you.

Rambo

I have a question:

When I build my next computer it is going to be based on XP Pro. What I need to know is whether I should stick with SP1, or update to SP2? I've heard that SP2 is good and provides more protection, but then I have also heard that it is buggy, certain applications don't work with it and SP2 is too protective (lol).

So, which one should I go with? Thanks, and any advice is much appreciated :)

joelkyr

Problem mostly encountered with SP2 is when you install it without cleaning your system with spyware,adaware,etc, it begins to act crazy.I found that out myself after I install it, what I did was I went on safemode and did a system restore, and reinstall SP2 and since then I never had any problem.:cool: