Win XP messed up - formatting doesnt work.

Pthree

the problem - Win XP (media center ed) freezes immediately after the desktop loads. the desktop is completely frozen, no task bar programs load, the task bar is froozen (when i run the mouse over it i get an hourglass) but when i ctrl+alt+delete, the task manager pops up and im able to play around within it.

this problem started randomly about 2 months ago. im not a windows noob, so I played around in safe mode( which worked fine), system restore, scan disk, ect...nothing worked. I decided to format the drive and start new. to my surprise, this didn't fix the problem either as after the 2nd boot, the problem was back. i somehow discovered that by logging off my user name(admin) and logging back on, windows loaded without a problem and everything works(sort of) - some programs like vegas-7 and WMP 11 would only work right after installation and upon the next boot, would fail to load. after replacing my OS hard drive, the prob still didn't go away. so now im stuck loading windows twice every time i turn the comp on and only having a semi-functional use of it.

the one option i have left to try is to disconnect my 3 other HD's and try again since they may be harboring some sort of virus. problem is all my data sits on em and i have no other immediate solution to accessing that data without the drives connected (im not about to put 1000 gigs on DVD's). 99% of that data is mp3's, mt2(HDV video), and jpg files - dont know if a virus can live within them....

anyway, im stumped and im about to throw the computer out my window.

specs -
dell 8400
p4 3.2 gig
2 gig of ram (1 gig is after market) - after i post, im going to remove it and see if that fixes the prob) edit* - tried it and it didnt work..

4 SATA WD harddrives 1x 80 gig(os) 2x250gig 1x500gig

ati x300 vid card.

im open to any advice on what i can do to fix this prob. its been taking up a lot of my time and im sick of it.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
It sounds like you first need a Welcome to the Computer Forum! http://www.computerforum.com/70672-official-welcome-thread.html and the usual reminder given to all new members to review the http://www.computerforum.com/52038-forum-rules.html

Having a fresh partition and clean install of Windows still seeing locks points at one of two things besides softwares(Windows, programs, drivers, etc.). A possible need to update the bios is one item to add a need to replace the battery on the board if you have had this system for a year or longer. The other more costly item is the cpu or other hardware now seeing a failure. You already tried memory and can rule that out.

Your video card may be one item to look over as well as the board itself. Did you install the drivers for the board when performing a clean install? SMBus, memory controllers, etc.? WMP 11 was removed from XP here on the XP Pro installation for 10 on the first WD 500gb sata while in use on XP Home on the 250gb ide primary. Vista runs on the second 250gb ide while the second 500gb may still see Solaris and Mandriva. Four WDs here!

Since the video drivers with ATI soon move past older models which catalyst did you install? The latest 7.1-7.3 could be the problem seeing locks. Those are written for the newer models upto the X1950 series cards. Trying an older catalyst could correct this fast if it turns out to be software only.