Win10 can’t update, but McAfee can?

johnnyb58

My Windows 10 has been trying to install 2018-03 Cumulative Update every day for over a month and has failed each time.

So just now my McAfee popped up a window warning me about updating and offered to do it for me. Well I figured I didn’t have anything to lose and let it do it. To my surprise, it actually worked and now my computer is up to date.

What I want to know is how can McAfee do it when Windows can’t? This same thing happened years ago with my old Windows 7 and Bitdefender was the only way I could update it. WTH!

johnnyb58

Since when does Mcafee update windows?
I don't know, but Bitdefender did it before whenever Windows couldn't. I just started using McAfee after buying a new laptop and could install for free on my desktop.

What I don't understand is why can't windows install its own updates for its own OS. Its crazy and kind of upsets me.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I can't answer that. Sometimes there are just issues with the update service, thats when you run the update troupbleshooter. Can you verify that you are running the latest version?

johnnyb58

It says its version 1709, but I'm not sure any more. I shutdown the computer last night and it updated again. I was doing something else when I turned it back on this morning and didn't notice if it failed although it didn't take 45 min to uninstall the update and restart.
It doesn't have the update notification, but does say that 2018-03 Cumulative Update failed on 5/2.
notification in the update history. I just don't know if that was from last night after McAfee or yesterday morning before McAfee.
I just check for updates in the settings menu and it still say it needs the 2018-03 Cumulative Update. I just don't know, maybe McAfee lied. I'll give it another day to see if it actually did update.

johnnyb58

OK so McAfee lied. :mad: It didn't update anything and I still have the same problem. Maybe I should reinstall Bitdefender and see it it will install the 2018-03 Cumulative Update.

I'm getting so sick of all the problems with Windows and I'm thinking about buying a Mac.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As far as I know mcafee will only update itself, it won't update windows. If it does, its a new feature I don't know about. Are you running an enterprise version perhaps of mcafee? Run the update troubleshooter and see if it fixes anything. Go into pc settings, click on update and recovery, click on troubleshoot on the left and then click on windows update on the right and go through the process.

johnnyb58

As far as I know mcafee will only update itself, it won't update windows. If it does, its a new feature I don't know about. Are you running an enterprise version perhaps of mcafee? Run the update troubleshooter and see if it fixes anything. Go into pc settings, click on update and recovery, click on troubleshoot on the left and then click on windows update on the right and go through the process.
By default, the Vulnerability Scanner checks for Microsoft Windows updates. You can click Custom Scan Settings, and select Don't check for Windows updates. My old Bitdefender did the same thing except it actually worked and I don't know how many times I've run the troubleshooter without fixing the problem. I don't want to reinstall Windows until I can be sure that everything is backed up.

aldan

i agree with john,there is no program that will update windows except windows.perhaps there is a misunderstanding here?if you are having update problems with win 10 go to ms support and ask for help there.they have been pretty helpful to me over the years.

johnnyb58

i agree with john,there is no program that will update windows except windows.perhaps there is a misunderstanding here?if you are having update problems with win 10 go to ms support and ask for help there.they have been pretty helpful to me over the years.
After playing with it I believe it just starts the Windows update function and Windows does the rest. I guess you could say that it pushes the Windows start update button to proceed with the update. I already knew that, but thought it might be clearing the path or something. I don't know why windows can't finish the update and thought perhaps there was something interfering and that MCAfee was removing it.