Win10 HP 64bit computer not booting after Bitdefender Update

johnnyb58

I had a Bitdefender critical update request to restart my desktop computer and now all I have is the HD revving up every 5 min and then going quiet without booting up. I’ve tried different ways of shutting it down and even pulling the plug to see if I could get it to at least go to boot mode. I had a problem similar to this years ago and got so frustrated that I just left it alone overnight, but found it running the next day when i woke up. I know that it takes hours to do a system scan with Bitdefender and wondering if maybe its running some sort of scan without booting.

I also disconnected the internet because I was getting nervous after remembering that a Spectrum Technician was fooling with my computer yesterday. The Tech said yesterday that he didn’t want to connect to my computer with his cellphone because it was heavily infected with malware, but he was connecting to the internet thru the new spectrum modem. I don’t know if something came across to my computer. I’m not sure if shut down the computer after he left, but we did reboot a few times while he was trouble shooting.

Anyway, I can’t do anything right now and need some suggestions.

----

I was just thinking that it may be the fan that's revving up and maybe not the HD.

Last edited:

johnnyb58

OK its up and running right now and I'm suspecting maybe a hardware problem. I pretty sure it was the CPU cooling fan that I was hearing earlier so I unplugged everything I could think of except for the keyboard and mouse and left it unplugged for about an hour or more. I was just going to leave it unplugged all night and then decided I would give it one more try before going to bed.

It's getting too late now but tomorrow I'm going to clean out all the dust just in case it's getting hot. So I was wondering if my CPU is going out although I've never heard of one going bad except in a power surge case and I don't really know if a bad CPU would start working again.

I don't know how to test a CPU, but will my Windows work just in case it might need to be replaced? I heard that Windows uses a serial number in the CPU to verify its a legal install. Anyway I'm going to bed and check it out in the morning, but I'm going to leave it on over night.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The cpu has nothing to do with genuine windows, its the motherboard. I would suspect a failing hard drive if windows isn't booting up properly. When you rebooted did you get the normal post screen to show up or was monitor blank?

johnnyb58

I get a post screen but it is only a partial screen saying to press F2 i think to set up raid.
I had this problem for a long time and have posted here about it for a couple of years and never resolved it, but this was the worst time.
For the past year I have had to wait until the windows logo appears and them hold the off button down to shutdown and then immediately press the button to restart. I usually know when it is going to start if the circle of dots appears below the Window logo and if not then I have to repeat the procedure. This time however, I never made it to the Windows logo.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into the bios and see what mode your sata controller is in? Should be in AHCI not raid. The option to setup raid shouldn't appear unless its in the wrong mode. What model of HP is this?

johnnyb58

Go into the bios and see what mode your sata controller is in? Should be in AHCI not raid. The option to setup raid shouldn't appear unless its in the wrong mode. What model of HP is this?
Its a HP Pavilion HPE. I just tried to change it to AHCI, but it will not boot at all and just keeps cycling through some HP diagnostics, repair and then restarting. I finally quit and changed it back to raid and it came up so I don't know what is going on. I think I did this a few years ago when this problem first started.
It just dawned on me that you mentioned sata and I can't remember seeing that and thought it said IDE so I have to go back in to view the bios again.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Whats the exact model number though. Should be h8-1xxxx. So are you saying it now boots to windows?

johnnyb58

Whats the exact model number though. Should be h8-1xxxx. So are you saying it now boots to windows?
OK I just rebooted and it is SATA. I also noticed that it is booting to Windows without me having to jump start it with the power switch, but I'll have to see how long that goes. I hate rebooting this computer because Bitdefender has to rescan and it takes so long before i can do anything.

Anyway it is a HP Pavilion HPE h8-1234 Desktop Product number H2L72AA

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So is it doing a boot time scan before it even gets into windows? If so, go into options and disable boot time scan.

johnnyb58

So is it doing a boot time scan before it even gets into windows? If so, go into options and disable boot time scan.
No it scans after everything else is loaded, but it slows down everything so bad that I can barely get on the internet.

Anyway it seems to be working right now even though I didn't really do anything so the problem is still there whatever it is. I guess I just have to wait until it happens again.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Turn off automatic scanning or set a schedule for scanning? I find the paid antivirus programs too intrusive.