Win10 won't show pictures?

PPBart

I have many CDs filled with pictures of past travels/events/activities. These all seem to display just fine on a Win7 PC, but my Win10 PC sees no files on the disk. Fortunately, I still have Win7 on one of my desktops, so I can access and copy over the files as needed -- but why won't Win10 see the files?

PPBart

What version of Windows 10. Is it free, OEM, or full?

It's Win10 Home, the free upgrade from 7.

And some more info: I opened one of the CDs on my Win7 PC and copied the files to a flash drive. Then I plugged the flash drive into the Win10 PC and the files were viewable(!)

AFTER SOME FURTHER THOUGHT... I wonder if the problem might actually be with the DVD drive or its software(?)

Last edited:

_Kyle_

It's Win10 Home, the free upgrade from 7.

And some more info: I opened one of the CDs on my Win7 PC and copied the files to a flash drive. Then I plugged the flash drive into the Win10 PC and the files were viewable(!)
That's good to hear! I still am doing some research on the DVD fiasco.

AlienMenace

I really never like the photo viewer that comes with Windows. So I got these from the windows app store, IrfanView64 for my photo editor. And for the Photo viewer I use 123 Photo Viewer. But I was looking at this one also Basic Photo Viewer.

PPBart

Are you sure it actually detects the dvd?

When a disc is inserted it opens the File Explorer screen, highlights the DVD drive and shows this message: "Drag files to this folder to add them to the disc." I routinely play movies with the same drive with VLC.

Maybe I'm just not explaining the problem adequately -- let me try again with some new detail:

The PC in question was upgraded from Win7 to Win10 Home in June 2016 -- no apparent problems related to the upgrade then or since. The DVD drive was not used much so it was some time before I realized the problem (not seeing files) and since it was several years old I assumed there was a problem with the drive and replaced it a few months ago. It wasn't long before I realized the problem persisted, and I have tried off/on to find a solution since.

When I load a CD or DVD containing pics or text and open File Explorer, then click on the DVD, there are no files listed ("0 items" in bottom tray). The message "Drag files to this folder to add them to the disc" is shown. This same disk works fine in a Win7 PC and a Win10 laptop, files are accessible and properly displayed.

If I load a blank DVD, open File Explorer and click on DVD, then drag some files and burn them to that DVD, I get a message "You have successfully burned files to disc." If I then eject that disk and reload it into the PC, it does not see those files just burned moments before! However, as stated above, that DVD works fine in a Win7 PC and a Win10 laptop.

It seems to me that there must be a problem with the DVD drive -- but Device Manager says it is working properly, and the driver is up to date.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Don't do an upgrade, you want clean install. Upgrading from one OS to another OS can cause some issues. Backup your data first, then boot to the install dvd and choose advanced setup new install only Do not access the cd while inside windows. You need to boot to it.

Darren

Staff member
Don't do an upgrade, you want clean install. Upgrading from one OS to another OS can cause some issues. Backup your data first, then boot to the install dvd and choose advanced setup new install only Do not access the cd while inside windows. You need to boot to it.
The keep "Nothing" is just going to wipe and reinstall Windows, so functionally the same as booting from the disk. It says upgrade because it's just the latest build of Windows and he's out of date.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The keep "Nothing" is just going to wipe and reinstall Windows, so functionally the same as booting from the disk. It says upgrade because it's just the latest build of Windows and he's out of date.
Well, I just have a feeling he actually started the setup within windows and thats not what he wants.