Win8 DVD-RW data loss

Eduard

Hello everyone.
Yesterday, I copied a few files to my DVD-RW disc, and it seemed to work fine.
Today, I tried retrieving data from the same disc, but there was no data detected on the DVD-RW drive.

I tried using a similar DVD-RW disc, and it seemed to work fine.
I would like to check my disc for errors, but I have to reformat the entire disc before checking for errors.
Shall I proceed with reformatting/checking of disc?

wolfeking

banned
how are you adding the data to the disk? If it is by using the windows .ISO/Disk writer, then there is your issue. the windows writer has been a joke since Vista (never tried it before that, but I assume its the same).
Grab poweriso, CDburnerXP or the like to burn it and make sure you set the cycle to the lowest possible (x2 is average) and check the verify box.

Eduard

I use it "Like a USB drive", so my data is automatically added when I drag my files inside.

wolfeking

banned
Yea, use a burner program, not the integrated utility. Just in the few days i've used 8, the included app has wasted at least 20 disks that I have tried to burn. Using CDburnerXP I have had 0 failures.

Eduard

Alright, thanks for the suggestion.
I have a backup External Hard Disk, so I'll use it as well.
I was lucky not to store extremely important stuff inside, yet.

wolfeking

banned
As far as I know, it is not really a bad OS. it will do no worse than any windows with your data. So don't worry there. The only issue is that their disk burner is junk.

Eduard

Can it be a virus problem? I have ophcrack and metasploit on my laptop.
I'm currently doing a full antivirus scan just in case.