Win95 or 98 and XPhome on same computer.

Hafunui

I want to have windows 95 or 98 on my computer that already has XP home edition. now, i have another hard drive the same size as the one im using, and both 98 and 95 (and xp) and i want to use 98/95 for some compatability issues.
I asked how to do this on another forum, but the answer i got was i needed to buy (as in to give someone i don't know more money than i'm willing to :mad: ) a program to partition my drive.

well, when i was installing XP for the first time, i had to partition it, the option was right there in the DOS-ish part (i heard they removed MS-DOS from xp, so i'm now slightly confused :confused: ). so how do i get these two OSs on my one comp??

alienationware

;-)

An easy one. I have at least two WinXP's on most of my comps. One is reserved for such things as entering secured information such as credit cards in online purchases. The other I let roam free, install w/e spyware it encounters. I do not use it to enter secure information.

Here's how to have multiple OSes on ur comp:

1. Partition your disk into however many OSes you want to run. If you have the Win98 Boot disk, run FDISK. Otherwise, you may have to fool around with the install menu on Win95/98/XP CD in order to reach the partition screen.

** WARNING: When u partition an HD, you lose all data on that HD. Backup the data first **

2. Re-Install WinXP on the first partition. (Only WinXP has this load up screen where u can choose which operating system to load).

3. Format the other partitions.

4. Install w/e OS u want after the first partition.

5. On the My Computer icon in partition(0), WinXP, right click, goto startup options, edit the profiles of your OSes.

Of course, you don't have to do any of the above. You don't have to lose a large hard disk space to the other partitions. You don't have to reinstall your base WinXP. Just get Microsoft Vitual PC 2004. That way, you don't have to have multiple partitions and can run many OSes at the same time (memory permitting). You can run a Win95/Win98 inside a WinXP.

Last edited: