Winamp won't play .m4a files recorded on my phone

Dimitri

I recorded a bunch of audio on my phone and it came out as .m4a files. They play fine in other players, but winamp won't play them.

I really need to play them on Winamp, because I have hours of material to get through and I'm gonna need to skip back and forth a lot and that can be done very conveniently on Winamp.

Any ideas as to why it won't play them?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you getting any error messages when trying to play them? Winamp will play m4a files.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then it sounds like the file is somewhat damaged or possibly not in the correct location.

Dimitri

It's actually multiple files and they all play fine in all other players except for winamp so I don't think anything is wrong with them

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you moved location of some of these files? Reason I'm asking is that a long time ago I had moved songs to a different drive and then realizing Windows media player wouldn't play them until I edited location of said files inside media player. Other than this, I have no idea what could be wrong.

thewhiterabbit

Just because your files are .m4a does not mean that the codec stored within the container is playable by winamp. I would upload the files to your computer, download and install an audio conversion software, change the container format to .mp3, and let the conversion software do it's thing. .mp3 is the most universal container out there. A great conversion software for you depending on your OS would be http://www.pcfreetime.com for windows. You will actually be looking for Format Factory. If you have Mac you should be able to convert to mp3 using itunes.