Windows 10 Biometric Authentication

Agent Smith

and information about a fingerprint, iris or face will be stored locally and not shared with others.
Don't see much of an issue. However one day instead of credit/debt cards biometrics may be used. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that a hacker could grab the biometric data from your personal computer and use it in a database to drain your account. But the computer's biometric info could be locked using encryption. Like a vault. Bcrypt comes to mind.

I don't use crappy Windows password anyway. Truecrypt FTW! In the laptop not only is it TCed but I locked the hard drive with an ATA password. I just wish my desktop had an ATA password option. I don't know if newer BIOS's support ATA passwords. Yet most if not all HDDs support security mode.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
The windows version is to have the potential for face/fingerprint/eye recognition. http://www.computerworld.com/article/2898654/microsoft-wants-to-kill-passwords-with-biometric-authentication-in-windows-10.html

Knowing that most pc's are connected to the internet, to who's care will this information be entrusted?
That information is stored on the computers local drive, not the cloud.

I really want NFC unlock, then you can just tap your phone or smartwatch to unlock your computer.

storp

But, just as the authentication is an option, it might not take much to change off to an option for going beyond 'local' as I see it. A checkbox option for remote verification, for example, like for Office updates or similar where Microsoft really wants to make sure it is you, the paid party. Something that is much more easily employed after the system has been up and running for some time, creating a sense of 'implied trust' with the user.

And since the sell is for secure local info - where "information about a fingerprint, iris or face will be stored locally and not shared with others."

Are we talking about data or also storing actual images of fingerprints, data, etc? And is the data and/or image(s) secure? Can you encrypt an image so as to not make it readable?

Using Intel's RealSense 3D camera.

And while we're on the topic -- what about everyone who has pictures of themselves posted along with names. On LinkedIn, for example. Is fingerprint the best way to go?

Last edited:

C4C

Fingerprints are unique. Names are not.

I feel like this thread should be OT based on the amount of pondering, but biometrics should have a change before we rule it out. Smartphones are starting to implement them already.

storp

I feel like this thread should be OT based on the amount of pondering, but biometrics should have a change before we rule it out. Smartphones are starting to implement them already.
That's the nature of the thread. Many people taking it in different ways in mass society, across many groups. They have a huge task to fulfill.

Last edited: