Windows 10 boot issues

Young_Lungs2k17

Hello, I have a toshiba satellite c675-s7200 laptop and I upgraded from the factory windows 7 home to windows 10 less than a year ago and I'm having issues with booting it's very spiratic sometimes it will boot into windows lightening fast for maybe a week of regular use and then it will randomly decide that it doesn't want to boot properly it will get to the windows 10 load screen, load and then go black and play the windows 7 startup tune and just stay perpetually stuck on a black screen it's getting power but not displaying anything I have tried restarting the bios multiple times by removing the button battery and loading it's setup defaults I am very lost because it's spiratic and there is no pattern at all it is an old computer and it's previous owners father did some kind of reset and ****ed it all up to the point where there were dll files missing but it was working fine after I got all the updates for it I have also tried a full reinstall of windows 10 but that didn't change a thing I may back up all my files if I can get it to boot properly and then do a full clean reset and install but that may be difficult because I have almost 200 gb of games I also tried going to the toshiba website and downloading the latest bios for my board but it said I did not have permission please help I am very lost

<config>iPhone / Safari 10.0</config>

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If this a very old laptop, then its possible the hard drive may be starting to fail. Do you know the brand of hard drive installed?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can download western Digitals drive diagnostic program for windows to test that drive. However, it would be best to use the dos version of it. You would have to download hirens boot cd iso and create a bootable cdrom and then run the program. If you want to run the windows program then get it here and run the full test. Instructions and download at that link.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=940

Young_Lungs2k17

You can download western Digitals drive diagnostic program for windows to test that drive. However, it would be best to use the dos version of it. You would have to download hirens boot cd iso and create a bootable cdrom and then run the program. If you want to run the windows program then get it here and run the full test. Instructions and download at that link.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=940
Could I install this as a second drive in a desktop and run the diagnostics tool on the drive through the desktop

Young_Lungs2k17

Hey I ran the full/extended scan and it passed
I also booted the drive with the other computer and it worked I'm thinking its probably the bios I have the bios from the manufacturer but I'm not clear on how to put it on the board without being able to boot on the board that needs the bios toshiba gave me an .exe file

Last edited: