Windows 10 installation question.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by moundtown, Jun 7, 2019.

1. moundtown

moundtown Member

I have a PC with a Windows 7 32 bit operating system. I have a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit installation DVD. A program I downloaded called SecurAble reports that my processor supports 64 bit. My question is if I would run into any problems installing the 64 bit version of Windows 10 over the 32 bit version of Windows 7.

2. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

You can't, you would need to wipe the drive and do a fresh install. Back up any important data first.

3. moundtown

moundtown Member

Thanks for the response. So should I take it that the Windows 10 installation does not allow you to format the partition during installation like Windows 7 did when I installed it over XP? Or is it because I would be installing a 64 bit version over a 32 bit?

4. johnb35

You can't upgrade a 32 bit install to a 64 bit. You have to wipe and install fresh.

5. AlienMenace

AlienMenace Well-Known Member

John: He can format the partition (same thing as fresh install) and install Windows 10 x64 Pro, but it is the 32-bit license key you can't install. I hope you have a license key for the Windows Pro x64. You need the x64 License key.

6. moundtown

moundtown Member

Thank you, this is what I needed to know. So the Windows 10 installation disc will allow me to format the C: partition and install the 64 bit operating system... correct? I do have the Windows 10 Pro 64 bit license key.

7. johnb35

All you need to do is delete existing partitions when it asks you where you want to install it to. Then reparition and install.

8. moundtown

moundtown Member

I have one partition (D) on the hard drive where I'm storing a lot of files and also the C: partition where Windows is installed. I would like to only delete the C: partition and keep the other. Is this possible?

9. AlienMenace

AlienMenace Well-Known Member

Is this one drive and partition into two separate drives? If so, I don't really know if it would be possible.

10. johnb35

In that case yes, as long as no installed programs were put on D.

11. TheRealSwede

TheRealSwede Member

Yes! Whenever the installation process shows an alternative like "Advanced", choose that option..
    Then you get to see the partions on your harddrive, Your D: partition should be the last one (at the bottom of the shown partitions..)

Mark the partition just ABOVE the D: partition, delete it, then continue deleting all the other partitions working your self from the bottom and up, so you have an empty space above your D: partition..
    Select that one and create a new partition with its maximum size and format it to NTFS and install your Windows 10 to that new partition.