Windows 10 installed without activating

corvette93

i bought a OEM windows 10 i installed on a new machine i skipped the activation,
do i even need to activate windows 10?

corvette93

well it has never ask me to yet to activate it and it been work find, one thing i don't like about windows 10 is some of my older programs don't work

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try running them in compatibility mode for windows 7. Go into your system properties to see if its activated. It will usually activate by itself when it has internet connection.

activation.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Should be a link to activate next to it.

Right click on the program exe files and click on properties. Click on the compatibility tab and choose windows 7.

compatibility mode.jpg

spirit

Staff member
i bought a OEM windows 10 i installed on a new machine i skipped the activation,
do i even need to activate windows 10?
If you sign in with a Microsoft account sometimes it automatically activates Windows 10 to your Microsoft account meaning you never need to type in a key or activate using a key or the phone. It does that for me on clean installs with a retail version of 10 Pro - I don't type in the key during setup, but I sign in with my Microsoft account and it automatically activates to my account (I never type the key or manually activate and yes it is a legal copy of 10). If I use a keyfinder to see what key it has used it's the same on all of my systems with 10 Pro and it's not the same as the retail keys I have.