Windows 10, Notepad access denied

jeffowen

Thanks, how do I create a new profile? It is not very obvious to me. I have gone to Settings, Accounts and then I don't know from there.
If I go to Your email & Accounts my name comes up as Local Account Administrator.

If i go to Sign-in options nothing happens.

Last edited:

jeffowen

Thanks for the link. I followed the route and entered details for a new account but after entering NEXT nothing happened for about five minutes and then a red message came up saying 'Something went wrong'. It does not say what or why.
Sorry, but it seems that things are not going my way.

I tried typing 'net user administrator /active:no' into the command prompt but it said 'access denied'.
I tried to get to the Command Prompt (Administrator) but again was told 'access denied'.

Last edited:

jeffowen

So I tried to do a W10 reset and it asked if I wanted to keep my files and I said YES. It started the reset and got to 1% then it said there was a problem and did not give a reason! It said it would return me to W10 with no changes.

This is impossible, what can I do now? Surely there must be a way back?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Back up your personal data and reinstall windows. You can be back up running in no time compared to screwing around trying to fix what you have now. Sometimes there isn't any other way to fix things. Trust me, I've worked on computers for the last 20 years and have my own repair business.

jeffowen

OK looks like tomorrow now. I have been doing deep virus scans to make sure no issues. All OK.
What's the best way to reinstall W10?

jeffowen

Thanks for the links to the ISO download . Looks as if I will have to do it via another PC as I don't have any admin rights on this PC any more.

I have a few questions following any new installation:

1. Will the replacement W10 be the pro 64bit version as I have now?
2. I am using Windows Live Mail ( in W10) that has my email addresses and stored emails. Will I be able to install WLM into the new build? And how can I get all my currently stored old email mails transferred?
3. I am also successfully using several other programs including Office 2003 & Photoshop CS2, both of which I have the correct keys. Will I be able to load and use these programs OK?
------

So I used my laptop to download the ISO file (4.2GB took over 2hrs) to download but when I went to move it to a new 32GB USB it said the file was too big and there was not was not enough space! I then had to find a portable DVD burner to get it on a disc. Very slow, probably about an hour.
Having got this ISO image how exactly do I use it?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
1. Will the replacement W10 be the pro 64bit version as I have now?
Once you enter the key, the correct version will install.
2. I am using Windows Live Mail ( in W10) that has my email addresses and stored emails. Will I be able to install WLM into the new build? And how can I get all my currently stored old email mails transferred?
The easiest way I've found to transfer live mail from one computer to another is backup the live mail folder which is located here.

C:\Users\(your user account) \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail. I've never been able to get the export and import feature to work correctly to back up emails. You'll need to enable hidden files and folder to be able to view this folder. Just copy all the files in that folder to a flash drive and then paste them back to the same folder after reinstalling live mail on the new install. As far as your contacts go, you can do the export contacts from within live mail before doing the reinstall.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/200318-windows-live-mail-export-import-contacts.html
3. I am also successfully using several other programs including Office 2003 & Photoshop CS2, both of which I have the correct keys. Will I be able to load and use these programs OK?
------
Yes
Having got this ISO image how exactly do I use it?
You will need to put the dvd in the drive and then boot to the dvd to install. Follow guide here on how to do the clean install.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

If you are any bit worried that you may screw something up, it may be better for you to have someone else do it, also help you back up your data.