Windows 10 on old computer

Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.59Ghz
MB: MSI MS-7369
RAM: 2GB DDR2
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 256Mb

I checked the minimum requirements for Windows 10, so it SHOULD run, I just don't know what to expect. Drivers are always an issue with older hardware. Granted, this is a machine I am trying to fix a little bit. Yesterday, I cleaned out all the dust. I realized it badly needs new thermal paste, since it barely exists.

Should I install Win10? Will it improve performance?

Thanks!

_Pete_

I very much doubt it but the easiest way to know is to try it. Bear in mind that unless you have bought a copy of Windows 10 it will not upgrade that machine permanently because you will have no valid product number. But you could try it for a short period.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't install 10 on something that only has 2gb of memory. The board supports DDR2 but will be expensive to get more unless you can find some on ebay cheap.

beers

Staff member
Should work, install the 32 bit version unless you can get more ram. Won't be the best experience but you could browse the web and such without too many issues.

Jiniix

I've found Windows 10 32-bit to use very little memory at idle compared to Windows 7.
For me it's like 450MB vs 750MB. And as for drivers, Windows 10 is much better at auto installing the various crap.
Would recommend/10
With a slow CPU like that (currently using a 6400+ 3.2GHz as ETH mining platform) I'd put in extra effort to stop background processes.

Or you know.. install Linux ;P

strollin

I installed Win 10 on some older netbooks we had laying around that had Atom processors and 2GB of RAM. They ran Win 10 much better than the original Win XP they came with. "Modern" windows apps (those found in the Windows Store) run really well on a netbook.