Windows 10: Removing Hardware and Ejecting Media

Not sure if this is the correct sub-forum to post this, so please feel free to move it if necessary.

I have an issue that cropped up since the latest major update to Windows 10 that came out last week, although I have no idea if it is connected with that update or not. I've done a search on the internets for a similar situation, but haven't hit on anything specific.

I recently noticed a new "hidden icon" in the menu for them (on the task bar) that is prompting me to "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". Right clicking on that icon shows me options to "Open Devices and Printers" and "Eject USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)". Opening the folder for "Devices and Printers" shows the standard printer devices and peripherals, as well as an "Unspecified" device (the aforementioned USB Root Hub). Does anyone have any idea why this suddenly appeared, and why I am being prompted to remove it? Will removing it have any negative consequences?

Here is a screen shot of the offending "device" (click on the thumbnail):

Thanks for any and all ideas and feedback!

Mike (the Wino)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Look in device manager to make sure driver is installed correctly for it. Or try updating it. Have not seen that issue yet. What Usb 3.0 chip do you have?

I've attached a shot of Device Manager showing the USB controller which shows an event from today that the device migrated, whatever that means. The "General" tab shows the device is working properly. How do I determine what the USB 3.0 chip is? Is that in the "Details" tab, and if so, which property do I need to display?

Thanks for the reply! I downloaded and ran the utility you linked above, but it didn't find any drivers to update. My system is a home-build, and the mobo is the following: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD3 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard. If the utility couldn't find an Intel specific driver for the USB 3.0 controller, how else could I find one?

Looking at the 3.0 link above indicates that driver is for Windows 8.1, and I'm using Windows 10 Home, 64 bit. Will it still work? My bios version is American Megatrends Inc. F6, 3/1/2016, with a SMBIOS Version 2.8. Is that what you're looking for?