Windows 10 "Reset this PC"

speedyink

VIP Member
I have a question for the people more experienced with the Windows 10 "Reset" option. Does this reset help with the upgrade problems people are having? Our work computer has been having seriously annoying issues since the Windows 10 upgrade, and I'm curious if doing the reset should fix the upgrade problems. It will be a pain in the ass setting up all the software again, so I wanted to make sure before I just dive into it.

So if someone has done the reset for a similar reason and has some info to shed on the situation I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

Darren

Staff member
In my experience a full reset with no data saved is almost a full clean install. There's a Windows.old folder with some stuff left in it when it's completed but from what I could tell on my laptop it would have been the same as a clean install. I've done a clean install on my laptop since then (unrelated issue) and it acted the same both times. YMMV.

Laquer Head

With Windows 10, you have the option to keep your stuff if you need to use the 'reset' function! It worked well when I needed to use it, but i didn't have alot of APPS on the machine, it did retain all my personal data as stated!

screenshot.jpg

speedyink

VIP Member
Cool, thanks for the replies. I may try this on my Desktop as well. I understand a fresh install is ideal, but there are some situations where I'm hoping the "reset" will be a decent alternative. If time is of the essence, then not having to retransfer a bunch of GB of data would be nice. Also with systems that came with Windows 8 and later, I had a bitch of a time trying to get my desktop to fresh install and activate and ended up not being able to. Mind you I changed out my HDD at the same time, that probably didn't help..ended up just ghosting the last drive *shudder*.

Laquer Head

... I understand a fresh install is ideal, but there are some situations where I'm hoping the "reset" will be a decent alternative...

this is just it, the 'reset' function is a good option for those who don't want to or can't do a full re-install.

I've used on a few machines, works well.. you just need to re-install your apps like Netflix, Candy Crush, Twitter..etc..

Darren

Staff member
this is just it, the 'reset' function is a good option for those who don't want to or can't do a full re-install.

I've used on a few machines, works well.. you just need to re-install your apps like Netflix, Candy Crush, Twitter..etc..

I don't use a single app on W10 except Forza if that counts. Your examples amuse me. :D

speedyink

VIP Member
Haha, My examples would just be regular computer software. I don't get into the new "apps". Mostly Steam, VLC, and winamp. It is my media PC after all =D

Thanks for the help guys