Windows 10 & setting up

COLTON_CJF

So when you purchase a new computer and first start it up and you have no wifi, will windows 10 still let you set it up without wifi and you can have full use to it after the setup is done and never connect it to wifi again?

thx

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes but eventually you'll get to the point to where it won't work anymore as it will be out of date. I just worked on 2 pc's that was running an older version and kept crashing basically shutting down or rebooting. Updating to the latest version of 10 solved the issue. I would connect to internet at least once or twice a year to get updates

COLTON_CJF

Yes but eventually you'll get to the point to where it won't work anymore as it will be out of date. I just worked on 2 pc's that was running an older version and kept crashing basically shutting down or rebooting. Updating to the latest version of 10 solved the issue. I would connect to internet at least once or twice a year to get updates
So if you are in a stable version of windows 10 and doesn't have very much bugs, can you keep using it for years and years offline or will windows 10 sort of "develop" bugs for needs of being updated over the years? Can you also copy full programs off a internet connected computer onto a flash drive and have the full program running (if it can operate offline fully)?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There are no files to download, its updated via internet automatically. Like I said before, connect to the internet at least twice a year to get updates. Any particular reason why you aren't connecting this to internet? Any programs would have to be reinstalled as they install system files and registry settings required for the program to run correctly.

COLTON_CJF

I am not connecting the computer to the internet because it is for lots of long term storage, and their is sensitive data on it, that I don't connect it to the internet for security reasons, to create an airgap.

Last edited:

COLTON_CJF

If you understand, I have a lot of information to store, and this particular pc I will not be paying for a antivirus software, and the computer will not be used for browsing or anything like that. Only a storage computer for special purposes.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You'll still need to connect to internet at least twice a year for updates.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Because of what I posted in my first post.

Yes but eventually you'll get to the point to where it won't work anymore as it will be out of date. I just worked on 2 pc's that was running an older version and kept crashing basically shutting down or rebooting. Updating to the latest version of 10 solved the issue.

I work on computers all the time.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like you had a bad version of windows 10. If you update once and everything is fine, everything should stay fine right?
No, you don't understand. I have many clients that I do work for. I worked on a laptop and a desktop that was running an older version of windows 10. They both wouldn't work correctly until you upgraded to the latest build. I've been working on computers for over 20 years. I know what I'm talking about

COLTON_CJF

No, you don't understand. I have many clients that I do work for. I worked on a laptop and a desktop that was running an older version of windows 10. They both wouldn't work correctly until you upgraded to the latest build. I've been working on computers for over 20 years. I know what I'm talking about
ok I am trying to understand here. Because some of my computers have been offline for a few months, and have not had problems with windows 10. So your saying that after it is offline for awhile, you will have to update because it gets buggy over the years?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It's because its out of date, both pc's I worked on were running build 1507 I believe and the latest before this weeks update is 1709. Evidently it doesn't like being out of date, I can't explain it any other way. There was nothing physically wrong with the machine software wise, just out of date. It would boot up with a screen saying running an older version of windows and updates required. Next time I come across this, I'll post a screenshot.

COLTON_CJF

It's because its out of date, both pc's I worked on were running build 1507 I believe and the latest before this weeks update is 1709. Evidently it doesn't like being out of date, I can't explain it any other way. There was nothing physically wrong with the machine software wise, just out of date. It would boot up with a screen saying running an older version of windows and updates required. Next time I come across this, I'll post a screenshot.
Ok I never knew that. Thank you for your time, I think my question is pretty much answered!